Radeon X1950XT

Gillo

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-070-PC

Hello, I need an honest answer from someone, will that particular X1950XT play Oblivion on max settings with 4X AA and 16X AF?

Rest of my rig is pretty crap but I will have to cope with it for a while.

Intel Pentium 4 660 3.6Ghz
2GB DDR RAM
Connect3D Radeon X800GTO << What i will replace
Integrated Realtek HD Audio 5.1 Sound
Standard 600W PSU

EDIT: oops, got PSU wrong, fixed, Changed the question to make it a bit more easier to answer.

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
I know of someone on this forum who bought that. notice where it says core 650 and mem 1.6ghz, he got 625 and 1.6 even though the original should really be 625 and 1.8ghz.

sooo if i were you, id make sure your not being made a fool of by overclockers.

here is a review of the same card but with the original cooler (see where it says 1800 Mhz as memory speed and not 1600 as the standard rate) http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?id=2122&cid=3&pg=1

Gillo

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
I have been shopping with overclockers for years since they offer only the best hardware much cheaper than anywhere else (ebuyer, dabs), most of the hardware they do sell is normally overclocked by them thus the name of the site.

They normally deliver the day after too which is very damn fast, their service is perfect for people in the UK.

I trust overclockers.co.uk with pretty much any of my hardware woes, so yeah, what they said is true, it will have those specs when i get it, thanks for the reply though.

PS: The card I linked to is the 512MB version too while the one you linked is the 256MB one.

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
fair enough, didnt see the 512Mb thing

any who, for current games....probably (except maybe oblivion)

future games...possibly (but only in dx9 mode)

this obviously depends on your resolution.

Gillo

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007

Nope, it will be fine on oblivion, my X800 can run it with max graphics and at 1280x1024 (just without HDR since it don't support it) :D

But yeah, thanks for the reply, I don't really care for DX10 at this time so I might aswell take the plunge.

My X800 has been a tough little jem but now it looks like ebay time for it. hehe

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006

Nope, it will be fine on oblivion, my X800 can run it with max graphics and at 1280x1024 (just without HDR since it don't support it) :D

But yeah, thanks for the reply, I don't really care for DX10 at this time so I might aswell take the plunge.

My X800 has been a tough little jem but now it looks like ebay time for it. heheIf you're not running it with HDR, you're not running it at the max; are you playing at 800x600 by any chance?

Anyways, the X1950XT is a great card, but don't expect it to play everything at the "maximum" quality with antialiasing. It's still one of the fastest cards around so it should be quite an upgrade from your X800GTO.

Malaga93

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
buy the card is damn cheap, i Got one three days ago and it's a great card, it's one of the best DX9 cards out there, i can run almost every game at 1280x1024 with 4AA and 16AF.

But be aware this card is freakin hot, with ATi tools set the fan immediately at 70% or 80%, because the fan reg. system is crap.And it's very loud.

mrmez

Splendid
I got rid of my 1950xt cos it didnt cut the mustard. It was water cooled and oc'd.

Oblivion was fine... until u lay some smackdown on half a dozen enemies, then it gets choppy as.

Even the 8800gts has a few moments, tho im now running 14x10.

Gillo

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
If you thought what your x800 was doing was brilliant then for sure get the 1950xt it will do you fine but even that wont trully run Oblivion at max.
Mactronix

If my Radeon X800 can manage Oblivion with all settings turned up (It cannot do HDR though, only bloom but I am predicting that even with HDR on it wouldn't kill the performance that much) and 4XAA and 16XAF, I am sure the X1950XT would have no trouble.

I think the only problem I would have will be my Processor holding things back, am I right?

But be aware this card is freakin hot, with ATi tools set the fan immediately at 70% or 80%, because the fan reg. system is crap.And it's very loud.

Thanks for the heads up, I will probably get a new fan/water cooling for it anyway.

I suppose I could get an 8800GTS 640MB, but I have always had ATI cards and by the look of some forums people are having problems with the 8800GTS because of the drivers. :?

I think people are being wary because of the way you have asked the question i personally dont beleive that there is a card out there that can play oblivion on "max settings".
Will the x1950xt be an improvement over your last card Yes
Will it look better Yes
That card is considered to be the best value for performance card about at the min.
I doubt if anyone knows enough about all the games out there to answer your actual question.
Mactronix

Gillo

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
I think people are being wary because of the way you have asked the question i personally dont beleive that there is a card out there that can play oblivion on "max settings".
Will the x1950xt be an improvement over your last card Yes
Will it look better Yes
That card is considered to be the best value for performance card about at the min.
I doubt if anyone knows enough about all the games out there to answer your actual question.
Mactronix

I know what you mean by that but what I am trying to say is that my current card can play oblivion at a 1280x1024 res with all settings (shadows, lighting, textures) to the top except for HDR since my X800GTO does not support it, it lags in game slightly but that is due to my processor and slowish memory.

Obviously, the X1950XT is much more powerful than my current card, so it should be able to handle the game much better.

According to people, the X1950XT does not play oblivion that well when my X800 does, I can't make sense of that.

Dr_asik

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Don't expect max settings with an X1950XT, but nontheless very good settings. The only cards that can really own Oblivion are the GeForce 8800 series.

The processor will still cause some lag when several NPCs are around, whatever the graphic card you choose.

Gillo

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
I have said before that my Radeon !!!!X800GTO!!!! can play Oblivion with all Graphics options on max and it plays perfectly.......

Either there are a bunch of Nvidia ass kissers here or you just like f**ing people off.

forums like these are just lame, bye

purdueguy

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
What resolution are you playing at? The X1950XT is $150 at Newegg after MIR. For $150, there's no reason to get any other card unless you go straight to the 8800GTS.

Instead of asking for people's opinion, why not go to benchmarks for Oblivion with the X1950XT.

This is Tom's Hardware Interactive charts. Just scroll to the X1950XT and compare it with other cards.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html

Here's the 8800GTS as a comparison:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2926&p=5
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/02/12/the_amd_squeeze/

Just as a side note. I upgraded from a 6600GT to the X1950XT and play Neverwinter Nights 2 on a 1680 x 1050 22" LCD with most of the settings on and it's awesome.

I have said before that my Radeon !!!!X800GTO!!!! can play Oblivion with all Graphics options on max and it plays perfectly.......

Either there are a bunch of Nvidia ass kissers here or you just like f**ing people off.

Dont know if you have left the forums in a huff or not but please remember you asked the question and i feel that you are being very rude just because it seems you have not got the answer you wanted.
Your nvidea statement is little short of ignorant go look at the gpu chart on the main page. There is only the x1950xtx from ati that is better than the card you quoted the rest above it are nvidea. :roll:
Next we dont care what you think some people on these forums know the cards down to there component pieces and despite what you insist on stating a x800gto can not physically (that means its not possable)play many games never mind Oblivion at max settings.
Take it or leave it people have given you advice and opinions just have the class to take it when what you think you know to be right turns out to be wrong.
Mactronix

kaotao

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006

Keep on telling yourself that... Doesn't mean it'll come true. I guess 10FPS is fine to you. I personally don't enjoy slideshows. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006

Keep on telling yourself that... Doesn't mean it'll come true. I guess 10FPS is fine to you. I personally don't enjoy slideshows. :roll: :roll: :roll:You haven't experienced fun until you've played Power Point. :p