Radeon X550 and Vantec's Iceberq 5 compatibility?

stan412

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Hi,
I have a Vantec Iceberq 5 cooler, and I am planning to get a decent graphic card (games not necessary). For the Iceberq 5, Vantec states "X300/600/800." Now, I want to get the X550-model cards, and when I asked Vantec's tech support, they said, as long as the X550 has "55mm distance between the mounting holes, and it looks like it does," the X550 will work.

I can't find a decent website that mentions the mounting hole distance, and I want to know for sure if this cooler will work on this video card, because frankly, I don't know if I can trust Vantec's guys unless I can see the card myself, first.

sarsoft

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
There wont be any website that is doing to tell you the mounting hole distance for that card. Anyway the x550 is around 45 bucks you can always rma it if it doesnt fit.

Why would you want a Vantec's Iceberq 5 on a x550. It is not needed. Usualy x550 comes with a small heatsink with a fan or just a passive cool heatsink. The x550 does not disipate a lot of heat. If you get a x800 then you can use the Vantec's Iceberq 5 but still its not needed unless you are overclocking.

00do0.jpg

stan412

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Thanks for the info.

First, I am looking to use the Vantec because I've read from forums and review articles that the default coolers don't cool as well or make noise.
Am I worrying too much? :p

Second, to be honest, I haven't had to install aftermarket VGA coolers yet.
Is it a very time-consuming, tedious process?

sarsoft

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Thats correct aftermarket coolers cool better and a lot of them are quiter then stock coolers.

Why people get aftermarket coolers? Video card is overheating and causing stability problems. If it does overheat invest in an aftermarket cooler. Also if you are going to overclock.

Vantec Iceberq 5 wont take a long time to install.