radiator above fill point on liquid cooled pc

zacfrd

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
This may be a dumb question but do you have to have your reservoir fill point above all components in the pc? I dont understand how the bay reservoir fill holes dont overflow when removing the cap.

Solution
I think you really need to go watch a watercooling tutorial, as everything has to eventually flow back into the reservoir, and it has to be in a loop configuration, with the ONLY open point possible being the fill point of the reservoir; this is then closed after you have done your initial pump cycling and eventually fully fill the system
normally you just want your reservoir above the pump. and then you want the fill point to obviously be at a point where you can fill it, and the flow point into the reservoir is below that. it seems complicated, but it's really common sense (if you have say a tube reservoir laying horizontal, then you need to tilt case in order to fill)

zacfrd

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014

The output from the pump goes to CPU water block (for example) and then to the radiator under pressure. The radiator output then empties in the reservoir. The reservoir is (in a non-closed loop system) not under pressure and gravity feeds/primes the pump.

I think you really need to go watch a watercooling tutorial, as everything has to eventually flow back into the reservoir, and it has to be in a loop configuration, with the ONLY open point possible being the fill point of the reservoir; this is then closed after you have done your initial pump cycling and eventually fully fill the system

Solution