[SOLVED] Radiator Makes Grinding Noise

Jun 8, 2021
This is my first post on Tom's, so I apologize in advance for not having all of the information I need right off the bat. I've been running into an issue where it appears that my Corsair H100i GTX's radiator is making a sort of grinding noise when under a load : Grinding Sound

When it was making this sound, the CPU was running at 42 degrees Celsius.

Please let me know what information would help in diagnosing the problem - Again, I apologize for not having this right away.

Thank you.

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Since the radiator/AIO is mounted to the top of the case, the issue IMHO, would very likely be the fans used in your AIO, whereby the bearings have given out. Yeap, those are fans with shot bearings or the blades are brushing up against a part of the chassis or it's own fan frame.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Since the radiator/AIO is mounted to the top of the case, the issue IMHO, would very likely be the fans used in your AIO, whereby the bearings have given out. Yeap, those are fans with shot bearings or the blades are brushing up against a part of the chassis or it's own fan frame.

Solution
Jun 8, 2021
Ahh, interesting. Thank you so much for taking the time to listen and respond. I thought it may have been the fans when it first started, but when I took the case off, and examined each fan, it didn't seem like there was anything (on the surface) hitting anything, so it would make sense that it is some sort of bearing that has become worn down.

Since it seems likely that this is the cause, I'll mark this as solved.

Thanks again - I really appreciate it!

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
A rad itself normally does not make any noise. (MAYBE if the system develops air bubles inside from loss of fluid.) However, a FAN may get noisy if its bearings wear out. The rad has two fans mounted on it, and each is plugged into a cable from the pump unit. Arrange things inside so you can reach those connections. With the system running and the noise present, ONE fan at a time, umplug the fan, listen, then re-connect. Try the other fan. If a bad fan is your problem, this should tell you which one. If you find one bad and this is several years old, consider replacing both fans. But if one is bad and the system is new, contact Corsair about warranty coverage.