Radiator outside of PC?

Zeiyon

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
Alright, so this is going to be a weird build. I am thinking about building in the Phanteks Evolv SHIFT Mini ITX, but I want to be able to overclock my PC a lot plus my room is quite small so its gets really, really hot after a few minutes of rendering or gaming.

So, why not kill 2 birds with one stone? How about I buy a beefy radiator and put it on my window to exhaust the air out, that way my rooms stays the same temp, plus I get very good cooling on my CPU and GPU.

Here's my part's list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NZqzZR

For this case, which radiator is good enough?
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAC8W4Z05768
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAC8W4Z05830
I personally like the first one more, since it is 60mm thick and I won't need much airflow.

Now the problems. Will the pump be a problem? If I have the PC around 2-3 feet away from Radiator, will the pump work right? Which pump is good for this situation?

P.S. If I do do this, I will most likely delid my CPU.

It will not help much with room heating unless you've a waterblock on the GPU too when gaming, at least.

You can mitigate the extra length in tubing to a large degree by using a large(r) diameter. Bigger, fatter, the better to reduce back pressure on the pump. Hopefully you can find in-line adapters to help with that.

Equally as important (maybe more so) as how far away (tube length) is difference in elevation. The pump will have to lift the water to/from the radiator if it's above/below the computer wherever it's located. If it's at an elevation delta no more than to that of a full size tower then it's probably not going to be a consideration.

One big advantage to fat tubing and the long distance is it increases volume of liquid which delays point of thermal saturation. That should mitigate the size of radiator you'll need...to a degree. I assume you don't do processing/gaming til it saturates now? If so, you could probably go with the same size radiator you currently have,or whatever's recommended for the processor/clock you're getting.

The height question is interesting and the answer depnds on whether it's a sealed system, or has a vented reservoir. If it's sealed height won't matter becuase there will be a siphon effect. The weight of the water going up will be offset by the pull of the water coming back down. If there is a vented reservoir it will have to be at the top, and will break the suction of the siphon effect.

Reactions: Tim Goffard

I kind of assumed that would be the case since I thought CCL's do use vented reservoirs. Do they come both ways?

But I also think air in the loop it may affect it, especially if it accumulates in an elevated radiator (which it probably will).

My AIO has air in the system...it gurgles whenever it gets to the pump as when I tap the hoses. And frequently at start up.

Zeiyon

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016

The radiator will be on the same level as the PC. or close enough to it to not really matter.