Rage Mod Tools Coming Soon, Says Carmack

Status
Not open for further replies.

panini

Honorable
May 7, 2012
More companies need to release modding tools. It's what really sets apart PC from consoles. Not the graphics; those will always get better when the consoles get better. But one thing that MSFT and SONY will never let happen to their consoles is to let people tinker with the code.

I didn't buy Skyrim on PC for better graphics, I bought it for mods.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I disagree. I buy games for the graphics. Consoles can't do 144Hz (FPS) like my rig or many people's 120Hz. And that's one thing that is important to me, especially in shooters. And most people say when you play on 120+, you can easily tell going back to 60. But that argument aside even, PCs are capable of doing a lot MORE (AA, etc.) then the decade old consoles who refuse to update because 'they still sell'. So it still looks better on the PC while keeping smoother graphics. And games (like Skyrim) are intentionally nerfed to keep them smooth on the consoles in the graphics department (and some games in other areas also). But again, that's ANOTHER topic.

As for the modding, that's another PC feature I LOVE. I played Oblivion forever because of the cool mods I could do. I still play Baulder's Gate 2 because of the new mods and levels people create are so intelligent and sometimes shockingly well done. Manufacturers should really be looking to the best of these people and offering them jobs, at least contracts, for another installment.

As for Rage, I never bought it because the reviewers that I actually trust all gave it bad reviews. If none of them liked it, I don't need to look at it. (and some of my friends that did buy it, I heard their complaints of texture pop-in problems, etc. as well as a pretty stale story or something to that effect. It's been a year...) But now that it's got a mod pack coming out, I might pick it up then. So in that situation, they might get a customer they otherwise never would have had. So that could be a very good thing for them. But I do agree, it should have come out since the start. Then they might have had a customer at the original price, or shortly after, instead of the now almost give-away price.

Haven't read your whole post but based on

"I disagree. I buy games for the graphics. "

You are whats wrong with the gaming industry today. Copy/paste same script with new graphics and bing bang bosh its all the rage (intended pun)

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]mouse24[/nom]Haven't read your whole post but...[/citation]

No YOU are what's wrong... Try READING my entire post... Wow. You have NO reason to criticize ANYTHING, topic, person, etc. without reading/learning all parts of the discussion/argument. YOU are the problem.

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
I have bought RAGE for $10 on steam summer sale, and I still haven't finished it yet. I don't even plan to launch it again.
Just says how boring this game is...

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]darkchazz[/nom]I have bought RAGE for $10 on steam summer sale, and I still haven't finished it yet. I don't even plan to launch it again.Just says how boring this game is...[/citation]

And that's the other point to my initial post. My friends that bought it all said similar things.

I agree with most of the posting. The game was boring, so mod tools might help, but wont make it crazy good.

I watched some gameplay of this game n youtube, and that was neought to ignore it. Sad, that a pioneer like carmack and with todays crazy grapics quality created a game that i had simply no interest in.

Pennanen

Honorable
May 29, 2012
[citation][nom]mouse24[/nom]Haven't read your whole post but based on"I disagree. I buy games for the graphics. "You are whats wrong with the gaming industry today. Copy/paste same script with new graphics and bing bang bosh its all the rage (intended pun)[/citation]
You are whats wrong with gaming industry. You are holding us back with your consoles and slow computer.

Azimuth01

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
Why did they wait so long to release mod tools for this game?
It would have been better to release the tools when the game was still popular. That way the community would have been able to build a foundation. This is like adding a foundation after the walls are up....it just doesn't work. Too little too late comes to mind.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Cats_Paw[/nom]Sad, that a former pioneer like carmack and with todays crazy grapics quality created a game that i had simply no interest in.[/citation]

Fixed it! Carmack is skilled but have hardly pressed the latest hardware to the maximum but rather stay at the 6 years old console hardware level and optimized the gfx for them. He was a true pioneer when making Doom + Quake that really pushed the bar higher with the latest tech.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]mouse24[/nom]Haven't read your whole post but based on"I disagree. I buy games for the graphics. "You are whats wrong with the gaming industry today. Copy/paste same script with new graphics and bing bang bosh its all the rage (intended pun)[/citation]

Actually YOU ARE what is wrong withe industry.

I have a computer that is capable of so much more, but because of consoles, Crysis 1 still has some of the best graphics out there, if not best still with some of the graphic mods out there. Haven't played Crysis 2, dumbed down and crippled console games are another problem with the industry.

And that is just pathetic since that game came out 5 years ago. I should be able to easily see the difference between that game and today, and you really can't.

On to the article, a year later is far too late for me to care. The game sucked, though I saw through the hype and knew it would.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
Well, i bought Rage on launch despite negative reviews and common sense, and i actually had fun. Graphically was very underwhelming, with washed out textures, but it was quite long at 20 hours aprox and gameplay was solid. Too bad about the ending, that one really sucked.

But i have nothing to come back to. Unless they've fixed the textures, which i think they didn't.

[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]John Carmack lost the ability to make good games after Quake 3; he and Id software are irrelevant and get far too much credibility for what they produce these days.[/citation]
John Carmack's great achievement was creating the first 3D 1st person gaming engine and his first few games were ground breaking as a result. Now that everyone can create great 3D gaming engine, you can see that his creative side isn't special.

DirectXtreme

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]John Carmack's great achievement was creating the first 3D 1st person gaming engine and his first few games were ground breaking as a result. Now that everyone can create great 3D gaming engine, you can see that his creative side isn't special.[/citation]
Not only that but Id relinquished their old formula that made their games so fun and special - release an FPS that is fast-paced, unrealistic, linear with multiple ways or methods to reach the end point, not overly complicated, allows the user to modify its content, and pushes the PC hardware. They did this in order to stay relevant in the current era, which is dominated by slower, consolized FPS games. Doom 3 was the beginning of this transition, and RAGE... well I think Bethesda had something to do with its open world.

coolronz

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
i didnt mind RAGE, alot like Quake 4 in some ways.. mindless fun.... but toolset? little too little and little too late.. if i want to EYEfinity i have to turn off CROSSFIRE... and if i want to CROSSFIRE my HD7970s i have to single screen it... took almost a year to work the bugs out of it graphicly then driver issues... the last thing PC owners need is a buggy toolset.... ID used to be an innovator, now they just make buggy eyecandy... dont get me wrong tho i still enjoyed RAGE, was a fun bargin bin title :)

[citation][nom]coolronz[/nom]i didnt mind RAGE, alot like Quake 4 in some ways.. mindless fun.... but toolset? little too little and little too late.. if i want to EYEfinity i have to turn off CROSSFIRE... and if i want to CROSSFIRE my HD7970s i have to single screen it... took almost a year to work the bugs out of it graphicly then driver issues... the last thing PC owners need is a buggy toolset.... ID used to be an innovator, now they just make buggy eyecandy... dont get me wrong tho i still enjoyed RAGE, was a fun bargin bin title[/citation]
I'm betting a lot of their buggy issues are related to refusing to use DirectX, which has a lot of tools to make it easier on the dev to support lots of different hardware.

coolronz

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
yes that makes sense.. but still i dont feel anyones gonna make any mods, and most certainly ever fire up RAGE to play a mod... the game is over.... no offense... ;)

monkeymonk

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I actually really really liked rage it just felt unpolished in some aspects :/ I think the mods would have been really nice back when I still played the game. I don't think I will play it again though mods or not

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Rage felt more like some stupid demo for a 3D engine than an actual game.

Carmack should get a clue - the Wolfenstein enemy AI code is not enough for modern games. And neither are the endlessly/ridiculously re-spawning enemies and invisible walls. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.