RAGE Requires 25GB of HDD, 3 Discs for Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Idiots. Why make another console port! This is why I had your game preordered then found this out and canceled. "focus on PC didn't work out for you heh? Looks like it's working for Battlefield 3 pretty well seeing it's the #1 wanted upcoming game. If you want the best game that everyone will want you need to make it the best for each platform. Big letdown, I was looking forward to this game.

helipro

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
Swolern.... You didnt read the article that closely did you? They did the exact same thing dice did.

They BOTH made their own engines that fully utilize every platform that they will be used on. I am pretty sure you do not know the definition of a port.

The only thing Dice did differently is make the graphics for pc insanely better than the consoles. Which is nice dont get me wrong, but truthfully 90% of pc gamers dont have a rig that can utilize the graphics to its full ability where as rage will be able to be played at max graphics by a larger amount. Both Publishers are not porting anything, but making engines that are cross compatible where as past engines were not as cross compatible and one platform would suffer.

Now no one suffers. Life is good.

So rather than judge this game based on the fact that they are far superior when it comes to engine writing than almost all other publishers, judge the game on its actual gameplay.

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]Swolern[/nom]Idiots. Why make another console port! This is why I had your game preordered then found this out and canceled. "focus on PC didn't work out for you heh? Looks like it's working for Battlefield 3 pretty well seeing it's the #1 wanted upcoming game. If you want the best game that everyone will want you need to make it the best for each platform. Big letdown, I was looking forward to this game.[/citation]

The game is not a console port. if you read the article the interview you Read this

Digital Foundry: Let's talk about Mega Textures... virtual texturing I believe it's called.

Tim Willits: Yes, it's a virtualised world. The word "Mega Texture" isn't exactly correct. Virtualised world is more correct, but Mega Texture sounds cooler! Basically what that allows us to do is uniquely paint all the environments differently. It allows us to have some really interesting areas, for new scenes to be fresh and exciting, you're not stuck in the same buildings for 15 hours, and it really creates a look that is unique to Rage. And when you see it running, it's like: yeah, that's Rage. And that's based on the virtualisation of everything.

Digital Foundry: So you can build an entire game world, limited only by your concept.

Tim Willits: Yes, the raw texture is ridiculously huge. It's terabytes. But through John Carmack wizardry, we're able to pare down all the textures and the assets that we need to reasonably fit on any system. People always ask me - why's Rage so big? It's because of the texture data, but it is very unique. It has a very beautiful style to it, it runs real fast because the world, the visuals, are all virtualised.

It creates extra space for game code, rendering, physics, sound... all those things. That's why we can run at 60Hz which is what gives us that good connection to the game. And of course, it's all cross-platform so all the assets that are created for the PC version are just the same on the PS3 and 360.

The PC assets are all streamed to the 360 and PS3 and they are the same they run the same the only differences are the graphics APIs and Resolutions and some small sound things but largly the same so if you was to run the 360 or Ps3 version at say full 1080p which we dont know if the ( consoles ) run but if you did it loook the same on the Pc and both consoles which are running the PC code as it is all one Code

fully utilize every platform that they will be used on

Exactly the point. Their racing 5-year old tech against brand new computers. And it has to be smooth for everybody. Guess who's being held back. And I bet will see mouse acceleration, crappy interfaces made for low-res (720p), and a huge X360 gamepad on the settings menu. If I'm wrong you can say they actually developed for each platform.

G

lol @ 720p

I really don't see why Sony doesn't change up their market and create 3 versions of the PS4's and dual boot it with Windows. Take one for simple games, one for popular decent sized titles, and one which can pretty much handle any thing throw at it for a year or two to come. Put in a decent sized HDD, with an SSD option and it would be perfect.

Now imagine an office full of PS4s ... all hooked up to 1080p screens, with shiny new black keyboards and mice ... Apple what?

professorprofessorson

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
[citation][nom]anonnn[/nom]lol @ 720pI really don't see why Sony doesn't change up their market and create 3 versions of the PS4's and dual boot it with Windows. Take one for simple games, one for popular decent sized titles, and one which can pretty much handle any thing throw at it for a year or two to come. Put in a decent sized HDD, with an SSD option and it would be perfect.Now imagine an office full of PS4s ... all hooked up to 1080p screens, with shiny new black keyboards and mice ... Apple what?[/citation]

You know, the PS3 is the first real home console that was actually more powerful hardware wise then one of the competition. The PS1 was actually a tad weaker then the Saturn, though you'd not really see many examples of the Saturns ability in the US titles library. The Dreamcast had a bit more untapped umph then the PS2 that was eventually glimpsed at more in its Naomi and Atomiswave arcade counterparts, and the GC and Xbox were well above the PS2 hardware. Its really sad that it took Nintendo going simple for Sony to finally surpass someone with their PS3.

Anyway, back on topic, this Rage game being such a large install, just how long is this game supposed to be exactly? Really makes me wonder. Game better have a pretty huge story and top notch visuals to be eating that much of a hard drive up, or people are going to mock it to no end.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Mark Heath[/nom]I'm still getting past that 25GB bit, if games come out that big too often it's bye bye ssds o_O[/citation]
that's why you install two large capacity hdds and raid them.....i haven't ran out of space yet...then again i have a 256 revodrivex2, so i really don't need to worry about space...once i get tired of a game i just remove it to make space for new ones...nothing lost :)

rb420

Distinguished
May 25, 2011

Ya no matter how they try and spin it, this is exactly how I feel.

arushrehman

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
I'm quite happy with FallOut 3. Rage who? Bloated software from the looks of Willit's comments. Where is John Carmack and what was his contribution?

Well at least they have put some effort into this game than what others have done in the past as well their other titles. As for consoles if the game play is good it is acceptable that the graphics be sub par but the age of existing consoles it is time for something new to keep people happy. They need to design one that is based mostly on pc based hardware but running a custom distro of linux with one or two pieces of proprietary hardware to keep exclusive titles from being run on a regular pc beyond that provide some sort of physical expandability for ram ect like the N64. The x360's cooling system is horrific, the ps3's lack of usable ram after os limits things for developers. As for the pc well it is hard to standardize things when there is far to many variations of system hardware but if the developer has any level of intelligence they can make their games run on any thing while providing options for high quality graphics. In short merging the platforms can improve things while reducing development costs.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
RAGE should be good, PC is the way to go for this FPS monster.
Xbox, wish you had a Blue Ray now?
John Carmack/id Software are one of the few who make stable smooth game engines. I know id did not do this on purpose, the game is graphic intensive and should be really good. 25 gig, no problem when I can buy this for $80 right now at Newegg.
(Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive)

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
[citation][nom]arushrehman[/nom]I'm quite happy with FallOut 3. Rage who? Bloated software from the looks of Willit's comments. Where is John Carmack and what was his contribution?[/citation]
id Software made the game engine, the Tech 5.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Oooh, this actually makes me more excited to get this game. I was previously considering skipping over it, but this makes it more unique, I want to see why the game has to be so huge.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
[citation][nom]Murissokah[/nom]Exactly the point. Their racing 5-year old tech against brand new computers. And it has to be smooth for everybody. Guess who's being held back. And I bet will see mouse acceleration, crappy interfaces made for low-res (720p), and a huge X360 gamepad on the settings menu. If I'm wrong you can say they actually developed for each platform.[/citation]

Do u even read what u write? It stated that "the PC will have same assets as the ps3 & 360". They will be graphically the same & guess which is the weakest system, Consoles. So the PC will be held back to form to the limits of consoles!! I didn't pay a lot of money to have the same exact games as consoles. I want next-gen, I want BF3 graphics. I think that is what will drive people to buy gaming PCs and gorgeous games to run on them.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
[citation][nom]Swolern[/nom]Idiots. Why make another console port! This is why I had your game preordered then found this out and canceled. "focus on PC didn't work out for you heh? Looks like it's working for Battlefield 3 pretty well seeing it's the #1 wanted upcoming game. If you want the best game that everyone will want you need to make it the best for each platform. Big letdown, I was looking forward to this game.[/citation]
Carmack is probably one of the if not the best game engine designers in the world. He has been working on the Tech 5 engine used in RAGE for years now and designed it to write a game once and then spit it out for every platform. If you have a killer PC it will detect that and you will see much better graphics than on the kiddie consoles.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
[citation][nom]notuptome2004[/nom]The game is not a console port. if you read the article the interview you Read thisDigital Foundry: Let's talk about Mega Textures... virtual texturing I believe it's called.Tim Willits: Yes, it's a virtualised world. The word "Mega Texture" isn't exactly correct. Virtualised world is more correct, but Mega Texture sounds cooler! Basically what that allows us to do is uniquely paint all the environments differently. It allows us to have some really interesting areas, for new scenes to be fresh and exciting, you're not stuck in the same buildings for 15 hours, and it really creates a look that is unique to Rage. And when you see it running, it's like: yeah, that's Rage. And that's based on the virtualisation of everything.Digital Foundry: So you can build an entire game world, limited only by your concept.Tim Willits: Yes, the raw texture is ridiculously huge. It's terabytes. But through John Carmack wizardry, we're able to pare down all the textures and the assets that we need to reasonably fit on any system. People always ask me - why's Rage so big? It's because of the texture data, but it is very unique. It has a very beautiful style to it, it runs real fast because the world, the visuals, are all virtualised.It creates extra space for game code, rendering, physics, sound... all those things. That's why we can run at 60Hz which is what gives us that good connection to the game. And of course, it's all cross-platform so all the assets that are created for the PC version are just the same on the PS3 and 360.The PC assets are all streamed to the 360 and PS3 and they are the same they run the same the only differences are the graphics APIs and Resolutions and some small sound things but largly the same so if you was to run the 360 or Ps3 version at say full 1080p which we dont know if the ( consoles ) run but if you did it loook the same on the Pc and both consoles which are running the PC code as it is all one Code[/citation]

Oops last response was made towards you, not Murissokah

RipperjackAU

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]Mark Heath[/nom]I'm still getting past that 25GB bit, if games come out that big too often it's bye bye ssds o_O[/citation]

Or it's bye-bye bank account, when you try to buy an SSD large enough to hold all these games.

10000rpm Velociraptor might not have the speed of an SSD, but I've got 600Gb without having to sell a kidney!

dreamer77dd

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
SSD will only get bigger and they already are at 250gig I expect games to be more then 25GB in the future. i just wonder what was taken out for the console versions and what makes it so much more. Is it just textures and graphics, probably. I wonder if it will be a good game? hmmm

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
[citation][nom]helipro[/nom]Swolern.... You didnt read the article that closely did you? They did the exact same thing dice did. They BOTH made their own engines that fully utilize every platform that they will be used on. .[/citation]

That's a lie. I can not see how one can "fully utilize" PC platform if you have identical assets and everything with the game consoles. Mid-range gaming PCs are like 10 times more capable than consoles, you can not fully utilize them UNLESS YOU FOCUS YOUR GAME ON PC and only then port on consoles.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
[citation][nom]professorprofessorson[/nom]Anyway, back on topic, this Rage game being such a large install, just how long is this game supposed to be exactly? Really makes me wonder. Game better have a pretty huge story and top notch visuals to be eating that much of a hard drive up, or people are going to mock it to no end.[/citation]
15 hours long. That is decent considering the ephemeral COD campaigns these days.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
[citation][nom]MxM[/nom]That's a lie. I can not see how one can "fully utilize" PC platform if you have identical assets and everything with the game consoles. Mid-range gaming PCs are like 10 times more capable than consoles, you can not fully utilize them UNLESS YOU FOCUS YOUR GAME ON PC and only then port on consoles.[/citation]
Yeah, this baffles me. Try fully utilizing a GTX 580 or Radeon 6970.

Status
Not open for further replies.