[SOLVED] Raged on desk...now system froze

SY3

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2015
Hi I was playing some dota and I punched my table so hard my screen froze and mouse and keyboard lights went off.
Anyone knows why this happened? The computer restarded itself after a few seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
the gpu is bolted with 2 screws.
you'll notice when "jiggling" your GPU while it is installed that it still has some leeway for movement.
even while screwed into it's rear extension card slot and it's PCIe slot lock in place the card itself can still move somewhat in it's PCIe slot.
i've seen a couple instances of people actually breaking their PCIe slot or the GPU's connector by knocking them or even just moving their system around without being extra careful.

Lutfij

Titan
Perhaps a loose connection to your component(s), a slipped head on an HDD...?

You might want to parse the specs to your build, like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

In retrospect, what you did isn't healthy for the system, the desk or your health in the long run.

Reactions: King_V
the gpu is bolted with 2 screws.
you'll notice when "jiggling" your GPU while it is installed that it still has some leeway for movement.
even while screwed into it's rear extension card slot and it's PCIe slot lock in place the card itself can still move somewhat in it's PCIe slot.
i've seen a couple instances of people actually breaking their PCIe slot or the GPU's connector by knocking them or even just moving their system around without being extra careful.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yep, they even slowly wiggle themselves loose just from temperature cycles and their own weight.

Also had a slot processor adapter back in the day with a similar problem. CPU card would up and fall out of the slot every few months because of the weight of the heatsink. Glad they discontinued that idea.