Rahul sood talks up Intel and AMD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I am just curious how many Conroes they are making each month... are we talking about 200K Processors? or 50K ?

They are tating no more than 40% - or least that was the last word - in Q107, which means that in 5 months there will be at least 3 P4s for every 10 machines. That too depends on how much Core Solo and Duo they made for Apple. Basically there will be maarket undervaluing until the next Intel core.

Arghhh i forgot about Apple, they will use Woodcrest and Conroe too, damn !
Dell, HP, Apple, IBM, will there be anything left for the joe-shome home PC builder ? lol

That is the real question especially considering that the subject of this post has questions about yield as to availability. I think even 12 fabs won't erase NetBust quickly but he's more in the know than I am.

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
I thought I might point out that Sood has replied to the slew of comments on his blog. Here's some of the highlights: (Sood is in italics and separate paragrahs are separate responses to different comments.)

Sharikou, Ph. D said...

Mr. Sood, did you feel flattered by the royal treatment from Intel? Think again.

Sir, I appreciate that you have an opinion - although I believe it's flawed.

For someone who signs off as PH.D I am shocked by this comment. You really believe that Intel is going under? That's insane man, with all due respect.

You seem to ignore the fact that Conroe and Woodcrest are killer platforms. You ignoring of these facts puts to question your intentions... I recall a time when you openly emailed all the CEO's of every major company and cc'd me without warning - you wrote a message without doing the research or asking questions. Granted I believe you recognized your mistake after the fact, but It seems that you are doing the same now, and I suggest that you take a long good look at what you are writing ... Sir, please don't take this the wrong way but if you want to maintain a shred of credibility you should try to look at the actual technology.

Yeah, there is no question that AMD is in a strong growth position -- but there's no arguing the platform performance of Conroe and Woodcrest. It's real, it works.
And it kind of goes on like that. I know you've mentioned Sood is pro-AMD which may be true, but he's certainly nobody's fool. I think the last statement was most telling in that he feels that Core 2's performance is real with no tricks. Now the pressure is to launch with sufficient quantities.

And now they're talking about releasing more NetBust chips?
In regards to this, it's not like Intel is spending time designing new Netburst chips. The ones to be released are parts with no VT support to differentiate them from the flashy "mainstream" Conroes, and to be offered at low price points. I know you point out that Intel won't be making much money on this, but it's doubtful they would lose much money if any at all, with their price cuts. That fact is that Preslers are cheap to make, because of their dual die approach maximizing yields, especially now that both the Netburst design and the 65nm process is matured. It's not like Intel could just stop Netburst production completely anyways since they are going to continue to be in demand in SIPP systems for years to come. Similarly, while consumers can switch to Core 2 immediately, many professionals would be reluctant to move over right away since all their software is optimized for Netburst. This all means that Intel must continue to offer Netburst processors. In such a circumstance, continued refinement of Netburst is definitely appreciated, which is where the D0 stepping comes in. However, the D0 stepping required no effort on Intel's part since the continued improvement of the 65nm process means that the latest processors off the production line run cooler and consume less power. All Intel is doing is labeling them as such. Such actions are not contradictory and don't mean that Otellini is high or otherwise mentally challenged.

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
I thought I might point out that Sood has replied to the slew of comments on his blog. Here's some of the highlights: (Sood is in italics and separate paragrahs are separate responses to different comments.)

Sharikou, Ph. D said...

Mr. Sood, did you feel flattered by the royal treatment from Intel? Think again.

Sir, I appreciate that you have an opinion - although I believe it's flawed.

For someone who signs off as PH.D I am shocked by this comment. You really believe that Intel is going under? That's insane man, with all due respect.

You seem to ignore the fact that Conroe and Woodcrest are killer platforms. You ignoring of these facts puts to question your intentions... I recall a time when you openly emailed all the CEO's of every major company and cc'd me without warning - you wrote a message without doing the research or asking questions. Granted I believe you recognized your mistake after the fact, but It seems that you are doing the same now, and I suggest that you take a long good look at what you are writing ... Sir, please don't take this the wrong way but if you want to maintain a shred of credibility you should try to look at the actual technology.

Yeah, there is no question that AMD is in a strong growth position -- but there's no arguing the platform performance of Conroe and Woodcrest. It's real, it works.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Wheres that in his blog?

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
Funniest stuff I've ever read! Thanks for that.

I love how he uses his own blog as proof, never fails to make me laugh.

That was quite entertaining! I just can't understand why anybody would want to go through life getting owned so much. I mean this guy is the biggest glutton for punishment I have ever seen (well, except for possibly BM these last couple days)

reaper

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2005
I dont even understand why you guys should answer to Sharikou. It sounds like he wouldnt take anything else beside AMD is KING.

[/quote] Intel has pretty much run out of cash and had to sell business for salary money for its workers. You think Intel has plenty of cash? Check their balance sheet. As of 1Q06, they had $13 billion cash, but they had $9.8 billion of bills to pay. Intel's prices have crashed 50%, and their new chips are nowhere to be found. That company is going under, my friend, and they desperately need your business to stay afloat.

I think its not only rude for him to say something like that to a prominent system builder-they desparately need your business to stay afloat? Sounds like he calls Mr. Sood an idiot to use Intel. Sharikou and 9-inch keep saying that the benchies from many good benchmark site is being bribed by Intel. If this is true, time will answer, and Intel Exec. would be incredibly dumb to use this tactics-it wouldnt last long, see what happens to GM and Ford if they havent started to really change their business?

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Yes, I pointed Mr. Sood's blog out to Sharikou his thread yesterday to ask for his opinion. I guess I should feel a bit guilty for having sicced Sharikuo on Sood.

In any case, I found it interesting that someone with first hand experience in dealing with Intel has found that their culture has improved drastically. (Although Sharikou interprets it as him being bribed and tricked by Intel). Sood also feels that Intel has a "killer platform" regardless of whether AMD implements Reverse HT or a 4x4 platform. He also correctly identifies the 4x4 platform as being extremely power inefficient and having minimal impact on the industry. (I'm not sure how people could feel otherwise when the platform is limited to FXs especially with the cancellation of the 1MB X2s and the 512k ones appearing to only physically have 1 HT link meaning that dreams of 2 35W 3800+ being used are unrealistic).

Of course, he is right that Conroe's impact depends on it's availability (which should be pretty good, Merom is the primary concern anyways), and that AMD is here to stay.

As for "killer platform", what is new besides a faster FSB? Conroe is all the same old shared FSB architecture that can't be scaled to beyond 4 cores.

The whole Conroe/Woodcrest thing is pre-announcing and paper launch. Servers have very low volume, yet intel couldn't provide any meaningful quantities of chips on the launch day. AMD has K8L working on 65nm too. It's just not ready for mass production at mature yield. AMD is not releasing them because it doesn't want to kill the sales of its current CPUs, and wants to provide a stable and proven product.

The voice of ignorance continues to speak.....

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I dont even understand why you guys should answer to Sharikou. It sounds like he wouldnt take anything else beside AMD is KING.

Well soon they will be the king of the value sector !!! hmmm value being translated as cheap hehehehe :) Well im sure AMD will do something but I just hope its not before I sell all my Intel stock in about 6 weeks or so lol (at that time I may buy AMD stock who knows !!!)

reaper

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2005
Personally, I wouldnt want either AMD or Intel to go down, cuz its gonna suck for all gamers. Remember the time when only Intel is on the market? Not much of progress in PC processors. Consumers need competition like this. Surely AMD will reply to Conroe, and then Intel gonna fight back, thats the awesome game of business that I never want it to end (heck, without it, we still gonna stuck with the lame P4)

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Funniest stuff I've ever read! Thanks for that.

I love how he uses his own blog as proof, never fails to make me laugh.

That was quite entertaining! I just can't understand why anybody would want to go through life getting owned so much. I mean this guy is the biggest glutton for punishment I have ever seen (well, except for possibly BM these last couple days)

Fellate me.

No one pwned anything here.

All the people at JonesTown drank the poisoned KoolAid. Did that make it right?

bixplus

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
Fellate me.
Why are you always asking other guys to do this? Is there a hidden message there?

No one pwned anything here.

False statement...accept the inevitable.

All the people at JonesTown drank the poisoned KoolAid. Did that make it right?

What are you implying here? Are you saying that everyone is jumping on the BM beat-down band wagon? If so, that contradicts your previous statement.

mjp1618

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
Why this is significant is that as you have yourself said, Sood traditionally is a Pro-AMD guy.

And even he has accepted that the Core 2s are good, really good. According to him, "*!%#ing fast".

And, yeah, Sharikou cleanly got owned by Mr. Sood. :D

I think Sharikou was just pissed that, as he saw it, the most credible AMD supporter in cyberspace was also turned into a "paid pumper"...

reaper

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2005
No idea why BaronMatrix even said Mr. Sood is a Pro-AMD guy. Maybe on a personal level, but on business wise, it's dumb for an Exec. to be on one side or another. The best performance and value rules all. And Im sure when Mr. Sood speaks about Intel changes recently in his blog, he speaks as a company exec.

mjp1618

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
Well, Sood has in the past definitely applauded more AMD products than Intel ones, and criticized Intel more than AMD. At least on a personal level, he has been pretty much pro-AMD. Even now, on a personal level, I think he supports AMD more than Intel.

But now, by appreciating the Core products for what they are, he has given one important lesson to people like Sharikou, MMM, 9-inch, BaronMatrix, etc. : that it is possible to be both Pro-AMD AND intelligent.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Why this is significant is that as you have yourself said, Sood traditionally is a Pro-AMD guy.

And even he has accepted that the Core 2s are good, really good. According to him, "*!%#ing fast".

I think Sharikou was just pissed that, as he saw it, the most credible AMD supporter in cyberspace was also turned into a "paid pumper"...

I never thought that people would take that to mean that he was Anti-Intel. Rahul feels that there should be two CPU suppliers. He makes more money due to greater variety.

Sharikou does get carried away with his opinion. Maybe he used to work for Cyrix.

I'm definitely going to check the thread though.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

I never thought that people would take that to mean that he was Anti-Intel. Rahul feels that there should be two CPU suppliers. He makes more money due to greater variety.

Sharikou does get carried away with his opinion. Maybe he used to work for Cyrix.

I'm definitely going to check the thread though.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Well, Sood has in the past definitely applauded more AMD products than Intel ones, and criticized Intel more than AMD. At least on a personal level, he has been pretty much pro-AMD. Even now, on a personal level, I think he supports AMD more than Intel.

But now, by appreciating the Core products for what they are, he has given one important lesson to people like Sharikou, MMM, 9-inch, BaronMatrix, etc. : that it is possible to be both Pro-AMD AND intelligent.

Give it up. Go to www.msd2d.com sign up and search for "Data Modeling in Windows" It is the most popular .Net tip on the site and it's mine, so obviously unless the person can be shown to have more money than you, they can't be right if they disagree with you.

I never said he was anti-Intel, just that he does LIKE AMD as a CPU company.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

So HIS COMPANY SELLING THEM DOESN'T SAY THAT HE IS PRO-AMD?