Rahul sood talks up Intel and AMD

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Why this is significant is that as you have yourself said, Sood traditionally is a Pro-AMD guy.

And even he has accepted that the Core 2s are good, really good. According to him, "*!%#ing fast".

And, yeah, Sharikou cleanly got owned by Mr. Sood. :D

I think Sharikou was just pissed that, as he saw it, the most credible AMD supporter in cyberspace was also turned into a "paid pumper"...

So HIS COMPANY SELLING THEM DOESN'T SAY THAT HE IS PRO-AMD?
isn't there absolutely no revelence between "pro something" and selling AMD's box?

so Dell sells AMD's product, and all the sudden it is pro AMD now?

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Why this is significant is that as you have yourself said, Sood traditionally is a Pro-AMD guy.

And even he has accepted that the Core 2s are good, really good. According to him, "*!%#ing fast".

I think Sharikou was just pissed that, as he saw it, the most credible AMD supporter in cyberspace was also turned into a "paid pumper"...
lolz..
sharikou must be really pissed right now. he thought Sood was Pro-AMD, so Sood would hate Intel as much as sharikou does.

it was nice to for him to get a hit in the head from Sood. seriously, sharikou needs to learn how to be logical and objective.

someone said this before..
"even AMD is like... "wtf is this guy smoking?"

gman01

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
* What everyone is missing about cpu sales problems *

Microsoft is to blame!!!!

People have not had much incentive to buy a new 64 bit PC, because microsoft can't get there act together, getting out windows64/Vista.... Intel, and AMD are both suffering in the desktop market, because of the Microsoft monopoly.... Now since half of the internet servers run on linux/apache - they want the 64bit server chips....

I myself have been using linux since 2000.... And when linux went mainstream with 64 bit software I ran out, and got my first 64 bit computer about 2 years ago.... Now I am looking to get my second 64bit dual core computer - but I truely benefit from it.... MY operating system, and ALL my software is 64bit.... So I get about an added 80% speed boost, using the same 64bit chips you guys are using in 32bit mode in windows....

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006

People have not had much incentive to buy a new 64 bit PC, because microsoft can't get there act together, getting out windows64/Vista.... Intel, and AMD are both suffering in the desktop market, because of the Microsoft monopoly.... Now since half of the internet servers run on linux/apache - they want the 64bit server chips....

I myself have been using linux since 2000.... And when linux went mainstream with 64 bit software I ran out, and got my first 64 bit computer about 2 years ago.... Now I am looking to get my second 64bit dual core computer - but I truely benefit from it.... MY operating system, and ALL my software is 64bit.... So I get about an added 80% speed boost, using the same 64bit chips you guys are using in 32bit mode in windows....

So you don't do any gaming then...

gman01

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006

No, I don't even follow the linux gaming scene.... If you want to play windows games you have to install windows emulation software.... And still alot of windows games won't work....

That is all going to change once the PS3 is released.... The PS3 is run on a version of linux - and so all the games with be linux.... This may cause a max exodus of people(gamers) to either buy 'cell cpu' desktops(from IBM/Toshiba/Sony) or install a version of linux on their PC(unless they just want to use the PS3 for their gaming)....

I personally think their will be alot of dissatisfied Vista customers.... And have a sneaky suspision this had something to do with Bill soon to be exit from Microsoft.... But no - I can't read his mind.... 'Microsoft Linux' needs to happen for Microsoft sake....

gman01

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
So what apps are you getting this massive performance boost in then?

windows64 beta, and 64bit linux - both get an 80% performance boost in their application speed.... For example(since I like to burn cds) if a song takes 3:00 minutes to turn into an mp3(lame) or ogg in 32 bit mode - with 64bit it only takes you around 2:00 minutes.... You won't get double speed going from 32 to 64 bit(which would be 1:30 minutes).... I have also seen bechmarks done on games like doom(64 bit) in 64 bit for windows64 beta/and linux.... They also claim the games run 80% faster.... I personally was suprised that windows64 kept up with linux64....

How long though after vista is released until 64bit software/games show up for vista though?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

So HIS COMPANY SELLING THEM DOESN'T SAY THAT HE IS PRO-AMD?
isn't there absolutely no revelence between "pro something" and selling AMD's box?

so Dell sells AMD's product, and all the sudden it is pro AMD now?

It doesn't mean they want to sleep with Hector Ruiz, it means they like the chips and appreciate what they did for the industry. Did you read the quote in the first post?

He is an insider and says clearly in the comments section that he knows like I do that AMD will continue getting market share because they are NOW a viable option.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

OpenGL games can be ported to Linux.

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006

windows64 beta, and 64bit linux - both get an 80% performance boost in their application speed.... For example(since I like to burn cds) if a song takes 3:00 minutes to turn into an mp3(lame) or ogg in 32 bit mode - with 64bit it only takes you around 2:00 minutes.... You won't get double speed going from 32 to 64 bit(which would be 1:30 minutes).... I have also seen bechmarks done on games like doom(64 bit) in 64 bit for windows64 beta/and linux.... They also claim the games run 80% faster.... I personally was suprised that windows64 kept up with linux64....

How long though after vista is released until 64bit software/games show up for vista though?

w00t.

I'll switch to Linux to burn my CDs then.

Show me an 80% speed boost in games and I'll give you my PC. It isn't there. I run XP Home, Pro, Tablet and x64 and that claim is frankly just utter rubbish.

gman01

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006

w00t.

Show me an 80% speed boost in games and I'll give you my PC. It isn't there. I run XP Home, Pro, Tablet and x64 and that claim is frankly just utter rubbish.

Just make sure you have 64bit linux, and a 64bit version of lame to burn your cds....

IT IS NOT RUBBISH.... If you want an 80% speed boost in games you have to have the 64bit version of the game(not 32 bit), and a 64 bit operating system.... All the benchmarks that show this are all 64bit beta versions of games, becasue as far as I know there are no 64bit 3d games available yet....

this is why some many companies are so outraged at Microsofts Vista problems.... They could sell better/new/more games for windows....

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

w00t.

Just make sure you have 64bit linux, and a 64bit version of lame to burn your cds....

IT IS NOT RUBBISH.... If you want an 80% speed boost in games you have to have the 64bit version of the game(not 32 bit), and a 64 bit operating system.... All the benchmarks that show this are all 64bit beta versions of games, becasue as far as I know there are no 64bit 3d games available yet....

this is why some many companies are so outraged at Microsofts Vista problems.... They could sell better/new/more games for windows....

Then why isn't Sweeny claiming Unreal 3 will be getting those performance boosts. As well Carmack has been quoted (I will dig it up if need be) saying that Quake 4 recompiled to x86-64 binaries shows moderate performance increases at the most 12%, now I am not saying thats bad but it's no were near the performance you are claiming.

Even HL2 and Farcry with x86-64 binaries don't reach such grand claims.

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006

w00t.

Link to the improved gamer performance please.

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
OpenGL games can be ported to Linux.

Sure.

And there are so many of those being developed today aren't there.

The DOOM3, Quake3, etc games are all already OpenGL.

I said games being developed - not those that started development 3 years ago, irrespective of when they were being released.

What happned to UT?

gman01

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006

w00t.

Then why isn't Sweeny claiming Unreal 3 will be getting those performance boosts. As well Carmack has been quoted (I will dig it up if need be) saying that Quake 4 recompiled to x86-64 binaries shows moderate performance increases at the most 12%, now I am not saying thats bad but it's no were near the performance you are claiming.

I am just quoting the beta benchmarks I have seen....
Anyway without getting into a huge 64bit discussion(unless it is to late).... Ok you forced me to bring out the bus 101 analogy.... A bus carrying 64 people traveling at the same speed as a bus carrying 32 people.... Just did twice the work in the same amount of time.... No like I said in real life you won't get twice the speed(100%) you will actually get about 80% with the benchamarks I have seen.... If it was really only 12%, what a waste 64bit technolgy would be? that is very in efficient? why bother with 64 / 128 bit processors?

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

w00t.

Anyway without getting into a huge 64bit discussion(unless it is to late).... Ok you forced me to bring out the bus 101 analogy.... A bus carrying 64 people traveling at the same speed as a bus carrying 32 people.... Just did twice the work in the same amount of time.... No like I said in real life you won't get twice the speed(100%) you will actually get about 80% with the benchamarks I have seen.... If it was really only 12%, what a waste 64bit technolgy would be? that is very in efficient? why bother with 64 / 128 bit processors?

Thats not how it works but I'm not going to bother this is Jacks department.

gman01

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
Link to the improved gamer performance please.

Like I said I am not into games.... And the specific banchmarks I am talking about were relesed months ago.... I am sure if you do a search on google you can easily find an explanation of how cpus work in regards to bits(32/64/128/etc...)(see my bus analogy above).... And you should be able to find '64bit 3d game benchmarks'....

gman01

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006

w00t.

Thats not how it works but I'm not going to bother this is Jacks department.

well I am mainly just talking about pure calculations being 80% faster.... No you are right that doesn't mean your game frame rate is gonna necessarily be 80% faster.... But I am sure my analogy or bits is correct - it is common sence also....

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
You keep praying for all that because thats all a pipedream mate.

Having used X64 he's not far off. I saw significantly faster reponse for EVERYTHING even 32 bit code. His particular usage model may deliver those improvements on the high end.