Rahul sood talks up Intel and AMD

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gman01

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
You keep praying for all that because thats all a pipedream mate.

here is a well rounded like there are lots at google:
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1665&page=6
this one shows ziping a file 32bit(7.7 seconds) vs 64bit (3.4 seconds).... more than 100% improvment - beating my 80% I previously said.... The other two tests are a divx encoding, and a game.... those don't show 80%, but you get the point.... I did find a link that shows an 80% increase, but it was comparing a 64bit opteron vs 32bit pentium 4.... So I didn't think that was quite fair....

gman01

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
Wow join the club.

His whole rant about linux, cell, ps3 and anti-ms crap, was well crap.

Look it up.... It is common knowledge PS3 and the 'cell cpu' is run on linux.... If you have no knowledge of a subject, don't dismiss it as crap.... And if you are happy with the way Microsoft has handled windows64/vista, that probably puts you in the minority....

Sony even stated they might come out with a software kit/keyboard/mouse that lets you use your ps3 as a Linux PC, not just a game console.... So you can do anything on a PS3 as you would on a PC.... They want to merge the game console and the PC into 1 box....

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
Sigh.

Look it up.... It is common knowledge PS3 and the 'cell cpu' is run on linux

No sh!t.

And if you are happy with the way Microsoft has handled windows64/vista, that probably puts you in the minority....

Pffft. Linux blows and will NEVER make it on the desktop. Its always been for servers and thats where it'll remain.

Sony even stated they might come out with a software kit/keyboard/mouse that lets you use your ps3 as a Linux PC

Wow you could do that on the PS2 which also had *gasp* linux! Look that up.

not just a game console.... So you can do anything on a PS3 as you would on a PC....

:lol: Right mate.

They want to merge the game console and the PC into 1 box....

Well I wish them luck with that pipedream. Well its your pipedream not theirs, they're after the living room.

joset

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
The whole Conroe/Woodcrest thing is pre-announcing and paper launch. Servers have very low volume, yet intel couldn't provide any meaningful quantities of chips on the launch day. AMD has K8L working on 65nm too. It's just not ready for mass production at mature yield. AMD is not releasing them because it doesn't want to kill the sales of its current CPUs, and wants to provide a stable and proven product.

Ah! Here you are! Sting 'n' split, hey?!

You know, you must be more carefull with the pressure you're putting on AMD; if they listen, they might rush with K8L @ 65, mature it as hell for mass production and kill the sales of their current CPUs! Now, guess who they're going to blame?! Hum?!

Cheers,... sir!

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
OpenGL games can be ported to Linux.

Sure.

And there are so many of those being developed today aren't there.

The DOOM3, Quake3, etc games are all already OpenGL.

I said games being developed - not those that started development 3 years ago, irrespective of when they were being released.

What happned to UT?

What you have to rememebr is that when devs get more power they don't cut features they add features so that the fps may not increase but the experience does.

DX10 won't make games faster just better looking. The UT screenies I saw showed a much lusher environment with more shadows, detail and "photorealism" at the same or slightly better fps.

CrySis running under 64 bit will make......wow.

gman01

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
Sigh.

Look it up.... It is common knowledge PS3 and the 'cell cpu' is run on linux

No sh!t.

And if you are happy with the way Microsoft has handled windows64/vista, that probably puts you in the minority....

Pffft. Linux blows and will NEVER make it on the desktop. Its always been for servers and thats where it'll remain.

Sony even stated they might come out with a software kit/keyboard/mouse that lets you use your ps3 as a Linux PC

Wow you could do that on the PS2 which also had *gasp* linux! Look that up.

not just a game console.... So you can do anything on a PS3 as you would on a PC....

:lol: Right mate.

They want to merge the game console and the PC into 1 box....

Well I wish them luck with that pipedream. Well its your pipedream not theirs, they're after the living room.

You stated what I said about PS3 & Microsoft was crap, then you turn around, and agree with my facts about PS3 by saying no sh*t? And you dodged my qustion to you about what you thought of the way Microsoft has handled vista?

What about Linux "blows"?

If they make a kit that lets you use PS3 like a desktop - Tell me what you won't be able to do on a PS3 you can do on a PC? give an example?

Incase you don't know the 'cell cpu' blows away AMD/Intel chips.... just 2 cells is faster than Conroe or Athlon.... And you can stick as many of them together as you want.... It is estimated an 8 cell cpu will cost about the same as the top priced PC.... And the PC can't even beat 2 cells....

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
You stated what I said about PS3 & Microsoft was crap

Did I? Could you show me?

then you turn around, and agree with my facts about PS3 by saying no sh*t?

Everyone has known about linux on the PS3 for more then a year now, like I mentioned before you can get it on the PS2. :wink:

And you dodged my qustion to you about what you thought of the way Microsoft has handled vista?

I dismissed it with the pfffft. They're doing a fine job, probably better then XP and look how successful it was.

If you have to ask that question, well.

If they make a kit that lets you use PS3 like a desktop - Tell me what you won't be able to do on a PS3 you can do on a PC? give an example?

:lol: Will I be able to do multimedia stuff on it? Can I type up docs? It won't be able to do half the things a PC does.

Incase you don't know the 'cell cpu' blows away AMD/Intel chips

:lol: Sure mate, you really should talk to some devs instead of listening to hype.

And you can stick as many of them together as you want

And I can't do that with PCs? Damn I wonder what all those super computers are doing then?

It is estimated an 8 cell cpu will cost about the same as the top priced PC.... And the PC can't even beat 2 cells....

:lol:

gman01

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
You stated what I said about PS3 & Microsoft was crap

Did I? Could you show me?

look up about 4 posts

then you turn around, and agree with my facts about PS3 by saying no sh*t?

Everyone has known about linux on the PS3 for more then a year now, like I mentioned before you can get it on the PS2. :wink:

true but what I was getting at is the PS3 is 'cell cpu' PS2 isn't

And you dodged my qustion to you about what you thought of the way Microsoft has handled vista?

I dismissed it with the pfffft. They're doing a fine job, probably better then XP and look how successful it was.

I was talking about them being 'like 2 years' behind schedule putting it out....

If you have to ask that question, well.

Your dodging the question.... Not only does Linux not blow - the only big thing windows has over linux is the software availability like games.... And that is about monopoly power not performance....

:lol: Will I be able to do multimedia stuff on it? Can I type up docs? It won't be able to do half the things a PC does.

yes the linux kit will come with multimedia stuff like mplayer/xine - open office for your docs(microsoft office compatible) - and Firefox for browsing....

I don't blame you for your lack of linux knowlegde.... Alot of people who don't use it believe the Microsoft disinformation campaign.... And yes they do have one, so don't say I am full of crap....

Incase you don't know the 'cell cpu' blows away AMD/Intel chips

:lol: Sure mate, you really should talk to some devs instead of listening to hype.

I find it hard to believe it is hype, considering they are 4ghz a cell.... But I guess we won't know until it is closer until their release....

And you can stick as many of them together as you want

And I can't do that with PCs? Damn I wonder what all those super computers are doing then?

Yeah, but 8 cells for the price of 1 pc cpu, and they are alot smaller.... You can easily stick 8 cells in your PC for a realist price.... Let me see you stick 8 big cpus in your PC - hope you are rich....

It is estimated an 8 cell cpu will cost about the same as the top priced PC.... And the PC can't even beat 2 cells....

:lol:

whats so funny? Is IBM lying about the price? Is a PS3 not gonna be faster at games than your PC?

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I just can't understand why anybody would want to go through life getting owned so much. I mean this guy is the biggest glutton for punishment I have ever seen (well, except for possibly BM these last couple days)

Hint: His enhanced dimentia has him convinced he's actually WINNING! Reality is but a confusing footnote in his pseudoworld.

gman01

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
whats so funny?

You.

People often laugh when they are uncomfortable with themselves....

Is IBM lying about the price?

They haven't announced any sort of pricing as far as I know.

You do know I just told you.... They stated a 8 cell system would cost about the same as a high end PC.... And considering they are selling a complete PS3 system for about $500.00 you can gestimate the cost of the 2 cells inside, and multiply by 4.... You need alot of hand holding - so to speak....

Is a PS3 not gonna be faster at games than your PC?

Unlikely since by the time its out Nvidia and ATI will have DX 10 cards which will be much much faster then the PS3s G71.

You may be right.... but even if it was twice as fast at that point, That still makes it alot slower, than an 8 cell system....

Action_Man

Splendid
Jan 7, 2004
People often laugh when they are uncomfortable with themselves....

Or when something is funny, nah.

You do know I just told you.... They stated a 8 cell system would cost about the same as a high end PC.... And considering they are selling a complete PS3 system for about $500.00 you can gestimate the cost of the 2 cells inside, and multiply by 4.... You need alot of hand holding - so to speak....

I want some exact figures please not some costs the same as something else crap.

You may be right.... but even if it was twice as fast at that point, That still makes it alot slower, than an 8 cell system....

And that would be GPU limited, expensive and no-one will have 8 cell systems.

gman01

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006

I want some exact figures please not some costs the same as something else crap.

Please, Do we even know exact conroe figures yet, and that is out next month? processor prices, are never released that early....

annihilatorpro

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
Let's get this straight; the PS3 is a home entertainment system and even if it does run Linux or whatever, it's not going to displace too many PCs. So what, big whoop, it's got 8 highly specialized "cells". Riddle me this: who's going to program the software to take advantage of this? And besides, by the time the PS3 comes out, the next generation of graphics chips from ATI and Nvidia will have come out. Sony execs are just pumping up their product because it's THEIR product. We have yet to have seen real tangible numbers from cell processors, and you're bashing on Conroe, which is out and about in the hands of users. Goodness.

gman01

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
They're not even being released.

WOW! Conroe is not being released HUH! Now you are funny.... I guess they are gonna throw them away.... Or better yet They made any - it was all a hoax....

gman01

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
annihilatorpro said:
Let's get this straight; the PS3 is a home entertainment system and even if it does run Linux or whatever, it's not going to displace too many PCs. So what, big whoop, it's got 8 highly specialized "cells". Riddle me this: who's going to program the software to take advantage of this?

It is Linux, haven't you been reading.... It runs Linux Software.... And whoever wants to make games for PS3 will program the software....

And like 6-12 months later they will be releasing a Server version of the 'cell cpu'
And after that they are releasing a desktop & laptop version of the 'cell cpu' ALL running Linux(It can't run windows - long story)

And if by the time the desktop version comes out and if Intel and/or AMD have nothing to compete with it.... Gamers especially are gonna dump their PC's and by a cell PC, which will now not only run all the existing linux software but al the PS3 games....

get the picture? Unless 'the cell' is not as good as the claims being made? But even then people will probably swicth because odds are pretty good people will be fed up with Vista....

annihilatorpro

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
WOW! Conroe is not being released HUH! Now you are funny.... I guess they are gonna throw them away.... Or better yet They made any - it was all a hoax.....

I believe ActionMan is referring to Cell processors not being released to the public so that benchmarks can be made, as opposed to Core, which is essentially in the market now.

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
The whole Conroe/Woodcrest thing is pre-announcing and paper launch. Servers have very low volume, yet intel couldn't provide any meaningful quantities of chips on the launch day. AMD has K8L working on 65nm too. It's just not ready for mass production at mature yield. AMD is not releasing them because it doesn't want to kill the sales of its current CPUs, and wants to provide a stable and proven product.

Ah! Here you are! Sting 'n' split, hey?!

You know, you must be more carefull with the pressure you're putting on AMD; if they listen, they might rush with K8L @ 65, mature it as hell for mass production and kill the sales of their current CPUs! Now, guess who they're going to blame?! Hum?!

Cheers,... sir!
I salute you, sir!

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
I just can't understand why anybody would want to go through life getting owned so much. I mean this guy is the biggest glutton for punishment I have ever seen (well, except for possibly BM these last couple days)

Hint: His enhanced dimentia has him convinced he's actually WINNING! Reality is but a confusing footnote in his pseudoworld.

This actually explains a lot and why the majority of those banned are AMD fanatics:

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32757

Sadly, they neglected to include themselves in their top 10 list. :D

Peace

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Isnt IBM supposed to make Cell based apache servers or something ? Couldnt one run some benchmarks on that ? (I honestly dont know) I also believe that the Cell in the PS3 will have only seven SPU's as one of them will be disabled at the factory. Or is it they have nine and one is disabled its so hard to remember when you read so much lol I dont think the servers will get too much market as those guys are pretty scepticle of things.

Edit: I do think it could be a great CPU for some scientific work matched with some uber high end hardware or just a bunch of PS3's clustered like they did with the PS2's lol Super comp on the cheap ? How much ram are they planning on packing into that thing ? My tired brain seems to think I read something like 512 megs... ahhh I cheated and looked it up 256Megs of XDR ram at 3.2Ghz ??? and 256Megs of GDDR3 at 700Mhz hmmm thats odd. I wonder how sony has that mapped out ? GDDR is graphics ram. That seems kinda slow to me but the 3.2Ghz XDR sounds sweet !

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Honestly, I cannot comment with any degree of certainty on Cell, I have read up on some of the revolutionary stuff they have used, but I have not seen plans for anything outside of the PS3, though I am certain that they exist and we will be seeing many applications for Cell.

I believe you may have also seen the link I put up to the AT interview with Fred Weber -- he is correct in his assessment in my opinion. It will be a difficult product to make just by virtue of what it is.

Jack

I found this for the specs for the PS3 but little information on Cell itself :(

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614682p1.html

I think I seen something on IBM's site ahhh here it is its too much information for my tired brain but it looks facinating !

http://www.research.ibm.com/cell/SPU.html

Edit: cool buttons on the left have more info on other parts but I have to wonder if IBM can make this 3.2Ghz chip why couldnt they make faster Mac chips ? (well im sure Core will be kind to Apple lol)

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
VoodooPC

Mr Sood is back with a new analysis of AMD Intel and how they are doing in his mind.

He made the funniest quote,

From where I am sitting I see Intel making some positive moves. They should thank AMD for poking them in the eye and beating them with a stick – it was a humbling experience.

Priceless!

No doubt about it; without AMD pulling the strings the last 4-5 years... who knows, maybe we'd still be at the GHz race.