Rahul sood talks up Intel and AMD

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
VoodooPC

Mr Sood is back with a new analysis of AMD Intel and how they are doing in his mind.

He made the funniest quote,

From where I am sitting I see Intel making some positive moves. They should thank AMD for poking them in the eye and beating them with a stick – it was a humbling experience.

Priceless!

namralaks

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
VoodooPC

Mr Sood is back with a new analysis of AMD Intel and how they are doing in his mind.

From where I am sitting I see Intel making some positive moves. They should thank AMD for poking them in the eye and beating them with a stick – it was a humbling experience.

Priceless!

haha so true

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
I wonder what he mean by 'huge implications on ATI'. Exciting.
And while he was talking about Intel's excellent progress that quote is a classic :lol:

bixplus

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
VoodooPC

Priceless!

Finally, something we agree on. Now, if AMD recovers from the inevitible stick beating by Core2 and it's follow-up, they'll have Intel to thank, right? Or will that just be a natural progression of AMD engineering?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
VoodooPC

Priceless!

Finally, something we agree on. Now, if AMD recovers from the inevitible stick beating by Core2 and it's follow-up, they'll have Intel to thank, right? Or will that just be a natural progression of AMD engineering?

Right now it's not over since Core 2 is not out yet in any numbers. AMD is supposedly releasing a new rev with a 1T command rate on the IMC and more sources are reporting on Dynamic Multithreading.

I think they can handle Core 2 by the end of the year. Maybe sooner. The latest benches show a finite limit to what OC does for Core 2.

Again I'm not downing Inel or doubting benches but K8 has A LOT of fight left.

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
Yes, I pointed Mr. Sood's blog out to Sharikou his thread yesterday to ask for his opinion. I guess I should feel a bit guilty for having sicced Sharikuo on Sood.

In any case, I found it interesting that someone with first hand experience in dealing with Intel has found that their culture has improved drastically. (Although Sharikou interprets it as him being bribed and tricked by Intel). Sood also feels that Intel has a "killer platform" regardless of whether AMD implements Reverse HT or a 4x4 platform. He also correctly identifies the 4x4 platform as being extremely power inefficient and having minimal impact on the industry. (I'm not sure how people could feel otherwise when the platform is limited to FXs especially with the cancellation of the 1MB X2s and the 512k ones appearing to only physically have 1 HT link meaning that dreams of 2 35W 3800+ being used are unrealistic).

Of course, he is right that Conroe's impact depends on it's availability (which should be pretty good, Merom is the primary concern anyways), and that AMD is here to stay.

sharikou

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
Yes, I pointed Mr. Sood's blog out to Sharikou his thread yesterday to ask for his opinion. I guess I should feel a bit guilty for having sicced Sharikuo on Sood.

In any case, I found it interesting that someone with first hand experience in dealing with Intel has found that their culture has improved drastically. (Although Sharikou interprets it as him being bribed and tricked by Intel). Sood also feels that Intel has a "killer platform" regardless of whether AMD implements Reverse HT or a 4x4 platform. He also correctly identifies the 4x4 platform as being extremely power inefficient and having minimal impact on the industry. (I'm not sure how people could feel otherwise when the platform is limited to FXs especially with the cancellation of the 1MB X2s and the 512k ones appearing to only physically have 1 HT link meaning that dreams of 2 35W 3800+ being used are unrealistic).

Of course, he is right that Conroe's impact depends on it's availability (which should be pretty good, Merom is the primary concern anyways), and that AMD is here to stay.

As for "killer platform", what is new besides a faster FSB? Conroe is all the same old shared FSB architecture that can't be scaled to beyond 4 cores.

The whole Conroe/Woodcrest thing is pre-announcing and paper launch. Servers have very low volume, yet intel couldn't provide any meaningful quantities of chips on the launch day. AMD has K8L working on 65nm too. It's just not ready for mass production at mature yield. AMD is not releasing them because it doesn't want to kill the sales of its current CPUs, and wants to provide a stable and proven product.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

he had very good thigns to say about 4X4. it is not very cost prohibitive to add an HT port. also remember that AMD has 65W chips at REV F2. Imagine what F4 will look like. if CTI earns it's stripes i can see Am2 OC 50%.

Maybe you shoudl read some of his comments. This is a very ProAMD guy.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
but K8 has A LOT of fight left.

Especially when you put so much spin on the whole situation.

But even moreso that it went from 1.4 single to 2.8 dual without mising a beat and using less relative power. Also Henri Richard quoted me in the Part 4 of his interview.

paraphrase
"This is a two horse race. intel needs to get used to it."

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

As for "killer platform", what is new besides a faster FSB? Conroe is all the same old shared FSB architecture that can't be scaled to beyond 4 cores.

The whole Conroe/Woodcrest thing is pre-announcing and paper launch. Servers have very low volume, yet intel couldn't provide any meaningful quantities of chips on the launch day. AMD has K8L working on 65nm too. It's just not ready for mass production at mature yield. AMD is not releasing them because it doesn't want to kill the sales of its current CPUs, and wants to provide a stable and proven product.

That seems to be something Intel doesn't understand. they had enough share that they could have just brought Core to the desktop to get rid of NetBust instead of this leap ahead that will DESTROY their profit margins. even if they do price them up they will still be dragged down by $50 P4s.

This will be a painful time for Intel, financially. And now they're talking about releasing more NetBust chips? What is Otellini smoking over there?

bixplus

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
Right now it's not over since Core 2 is not out yet in any numbers. AMD is supposedly releasing a new rev with a 1T command rate on the IMC and more sources are reporting on Dynamic Multithreading.

I think they can handle Core 2 by the end of the year. Maybe sooner. The latest benches show a finite limit to what OC does for Core 2.

Everything has a finite limit at any given point in time. However, you are assuming that Intel will stand still from here on. Additionaly, the Core 2 OC limit that has been published is going to be a tough hurdle to surmount. I not saying it's impossible, but it will be very difficult...I'll go so far as to say unlikely, especially in 2006.

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
And while he was talking about Intel's excellent progress that quote is a classic :lol:

ATi + Conroe Board Bribe.

Intel/ASUS i975 based board + X1900 XFire card = $80 rebate.

IE crashed three f0cking times when I tried to post this. Firefox, here I come!

Artmic

Distinguished
May 27, 2002

ATi + Conroe Board Bribe.
Firefox, here I come!

You should have switched a long time ago :)
I've switched and never looked back at IE again.
The only thing i hate with Firefox is when i start a download it waits there spinning its turbines before it initiates the download... and it eats memory like a hog. V1.5.0.2

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
but K8 has A LOT of fight left.

Especially when you put so much spin on the whole situation.

But even moreso that it went from 1.4 single to 2.8 dual without mising a beat and using less relative power. Also Henri Richard quoted me in the Part 4 of his interview.

paraphrase
"This is a two horse race. intel needs to get used to it."

It took them 3 years to get to 2.8 WTH are you smokeing?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I am just curious how many Conroes they are making each month... are we talking about 200K Processors? or 50K ?

They are tating no more than 40% - or least that was the last word - in Q107, which means that in 5 months there will be at least 3 P4s for every 10 machines. That too depends on how much Core Solo and Duo they made for Apple. Basically there will be maarket undervaluing until the next Intel core.

Unless they or AMD can "Leap Ahead" again and cycle the prices back up slowly. I honestly WANT to pay at least $400 for a processor. VAue is value. And that in a $1000-$4000 system is worth it. Especially if you use it for work.

I actually used to use ONLY INTEL for my studio PC until AMD chipsets matured around K8.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
It took them 3 years to get to 2.8 WTH are you smokeing?

Well, while Intel was causing Dell to put refrigerators int the P4 :lol: -of course not until PressHott - AMD was enjoying a stable platform that needed little aggressive tuning for perf and enhancement. Why change horses in midstream?
The Opteron arch may have been luck but it put Intel into the basement in every market.

Or as Rahul says....

Artmic

Distinguished
May 27, 2002
I am just curious how many Conroes they are making each month... are we talking about 200K Processors? or 50K ?

They are tating no more than 40% - or least that was the last word - in Q107, which means that in 5 months there will be at least 3 P4s for every 10 machines. That too depends on how much Core Solo and Duo they made for Apple. Basically there will be maarket undervaluing until the next Intel core.

Arghhh i forgot about Apple, they will use Woodcrest and Conroe too, damn !
Dell, HP, Apple, IBM, will there be anything left for the joe-shome home PC builder ? lol