RAID 0, 2 SSDs, for 4K Video Editing (onboard or USB transfer?)

Aug 17, 2018
I've looked at some of the other posts people have posted in regards to using RAID 0 for video editing, but they seem to be from awhile ago being that they're mentioning recording things in HD aka 720p. Anyway, I record most everything now onto my 32GB V90 SD Card in C4K or UHD (fake 4K) at 120fps, which needless to say increases file size a lot. It's not so much the file sizes that I'm concerned with, but the amount of data that needs to be processed when using Adobe Premiere Pro CC fo editing. Premiere is heavily CPU intensive regardless of whatever GPU you have, so I've already done some things to run as fast as possible on my PC.

My Rig: Dell XPS 8500
CPU: Intel i7-3770 (4 core, 8 threads)
GPU: GTX 4GB 1050 Ti OC Edition
RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600MHz (8GB RamDisk used to run Photoshop, Premiere, and After Effects)
Storage
- 500GB SSD for OS
- 240GB SSD for Primary Video Storage (I only keep my most recent projects here)
- 2TB HDD to run my Desktop & Secondary Video Storage (I move recently finished projects here for quick reference)
- 4TB External HDD for Tertiary Storage (I move projects I don't on needing anytime soon here).

Current Editing Procedure:
1. Open & Run Adobe Premiere Pro CC from RAM Disk
2. Import Video Files into my Project from my 240GB SSD
3. Use MSI Afterburner software for GPU Overclocking

For the most part, this setup works well when I record in 8-bit at 100-150Mbps at 120fps and even 10-bit. however, when I record C4K (Cinema 4K) in ALL-I or 10bit at 400Mbps at 24fps (fills a 32GB card in about 10 minutes), I start running into insane LAG.

Any advice on how I could possible save my current video project resource .MOV or .MP4 files in RAID 0 over 2 SSDs would be awesome!

Here come my theoretical questions:
1. Do you think it could help with the previewing and rendering process?
2. Would data retrieval for video project previewing being in a RAID 0 array make it less CPU intensive?
* I know RAID 0 is like "Hey bro that's for suicide bombers only," but I would make a copy beforehand.
3. Also, do you think I could/should run a dual SSD setup in RAID 0 on SATA (6Gbps) or separately via USB 3.1 (10Gbps) or Thunderbolt (20Gbps)?

I'm currently working on building my new rig, which will utilize an Asrock Z370 Pro 4 mobo, i7-8700K or -8086K & DDR4 RAM... but in the meantime (as I buy everything piece by piece), I need an affordable fix for this laginess so I can keep working. I figured I would just buy another 240GB SSD from BestBuy for like $50-$60.

Any help or discussion would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

zero_l0gic

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
if you need drive speed like USADRet said NVMe is the way to go. no raid 0 will not drop CPU usage and the speed upgrade is not that much of a bonus when you consider the cost of drives and the case. and NVMe has much much better speeds and latency.

Aug 17, 2018
Only problem is the XPS 8500 is very old and only has one PCIe X16 slot and the others are X1. I don't have an X4 slot to use for that adapter. I'll be utilizing there NVMe SSDs in my new rig once I have it built, but for the meantime, I need something to get me through. I feel like I've pretty much tapped all means of squeezing out whatever I can on this setup... But the RAID 0 idea is the last thing I think I could do to this computer in regards to keeping up with speeds and video editing.