RAID 0 and clone

NanoFlow

Honorable
May 7, 2013
I currently have a single HDD running everything, and i was considering buying 2 SSD's and striping them. Can I RAID them within Windows (7) and then use acronis to clone my old HDD to them new stripe in stead of freshly installing everything? This is all still theoretical, I'm not sure if I'll even stripe the SSD's, just looking for opinions!

Thanks!

popatim

Titan
You'd be better off with a single large SSD but if you are really set on raid0 I have not had any luck using acronis to clone to a raid set. Also turning on raid will negate any boot time savings due to its much longer initialization process. You'll probably wind up taking a minute longer than you used to to boot up. Lastly I should mention that you wont even be able to boot up (after the clone) unless you change the controller drivers over to raid (in windows) first (just before the cloning process)

NanoFlow

Honorable
May 7, 2013

After cloning, I'll still technically be running my OS and everything else from my old HDD. Knowing this, could i not switch it after the cloning process and then finish the setup when my computer shuts off and I go into BIOS? And then, in BIOS change my boot priorty to the RAID0 setup and physically remove the old HDD?
If any of this seems illogical, feel free to stop me. I was considering using only a single SSD and a new 1T HDD since, as you said, it would be a better option.

popatim

Titan
In thinking about this a bit more I dont think this will work quite the way we thought. Without the sata mode being in raid mode you won't be able to even create the raid0 to clone to... unless your on a really good (driverless) raid card

So you would need to switch the driver to raid. reboot into the bios and switch the sata mode to raid. reboot into the raid bios and setup the raid0, boot into windows and clone (if you can find cloning software that will clone to your raid) I have paid software that will do this, I don't know if any of the free stuff will work.

sunilesc

Honorable
May 9, 2013
cloning is not going to work because older hdd do not have the integrated driver whereas the moment you make a stripset of 2 ssd you will require raid driver which has to be integrated at the first loading screen.

TRENDING THREADS