RAID 0 array went missing

RaptorXZ

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
So, I have a RAID 0 array which suddenly decided not to show up in Windows one day after a Windows update. In device manager, the drive said the hardware was not plugged in. So I unplugged the two SSDs that made up the array and plugged them back in (not necessarily in the same ports) to try to fix the problem. First, I enabled RAID in BIOS on the wrong ports, so I had trouble finding the discs. But whenever one of the disks was not setup in RAID, it would show up in device manager, so I knew the discs were still working fine. I created new partitions, just to see if it would work, but never reformatted the drives since I didn't want to lose the data.
Eventually I figured out I had enabled RAID in the wrong ports, and now it is enabled in all 4 potential ports, two of which are empty. Now I can enter RAID configuration during boot, but it asks me to create a new array, which I assume will erase the data on the discs. The striped drive in device manager that the discs made up before still claims the hardware is not connected.
So my questions are, does it matter if the SSDs are connected to the original two ports for the array to be detected? Did I mess up the array by having RAID disabled on those ports and creating and then deleting new partitions, even though I didn't reformat the drives? Can I get the original array back, or do I have to create a new array?

TL;DR: Two SSDs set up in RAID 0 are no longer detected after Windows update. Swapped sata ports; do I have to create a new array?

I have Windows 10 on a separate SSD. I have a harddrive with most everything else on it. On the RAID 0 drive I only had a few games installed. The two SSDs set up in RAID 0 are identical Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 gb.

Solution
Soon as you create new partitions on the drive, you lost data. Formatting the drive is just a layer over that, but you delete a partition, especially in a RAID 0 setup, you no longer have access to your data without a recovery tool that may or may not work.

So right now, just setup RAID 0 again on those drive clean.
Soon as you create new partitions on the drive, you lost data. Formatting the drive is just a layer over that, but you delete a partition, especially in a RAID 0 setup, you no longer have access to your data without a recovery tool that may or may not work.

So right now, just setup RAID 0 again on those drive clean.

Solution

RaptorXZ

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
I've set up a new array now and set it to bootable, but nothing's showing up in disk management or device manager still, which is why I started messing with it in the first place. What gives?

RaptorXZ

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
I've looked for an update to BIOS, and there is only one version available for my motherboard. In device manager I have only one RAID controller. The four ports where my two SSDs are connected are right next to eachother on the motherboard (two of them empty obviously), I assume that puts them under the same controller? My OS HDD and third SSD are connected in other locations.
When their ports are set to RAID, the disks do not really show up in BIOS. I mean, along with other drives in setup. I believe it was like that while it was working too, so I assume that's normal. In RAID configuration the two disks showed up as I created a new array, and it shows as Healthy, bootable, striped.