Adraztos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Hey Tom's Hardware community.

I currently have a seagate 7200rpm 640gb hard drive running my system, and would like to put in a raid 0 setup.

I have 2 seagate barracuda 7200rpm 160gb 7200rpm waiting to be used.

I'm using a EVGA X58 3x SLI motherboard, and am confused with the BIOS setup. I created a volume with the 2 160's in raid0(stripe) and am not sure what to do after. I went into the raid setup, and just keep scratching my head.

Any help? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Lavarin

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Hey Adra, you have to make sure your RAID is enabled within Windows. Have you tried accessing your 2 160GB setup within Windows itself? What version are you using by the way?

If you have the RAID volume created, not much else you need to do there.
You apparently have enabled the RAID controller, and gotten into the RAID BIOS and built the array, so here is what you should do next.
Exit the RAID BIOS, reboot.
Go into the normal BIOS, and check to see if you have options to set the RAID array as bootable, or for storage. (Some of the these options suddenly become available in your Sata controller menu when you enable RAID within some BIOS's, read your manual) If you want to boot from the array, be sure you list it in the boot order.
Boot to Windows, go to Disk Administration, and if you set it up correclty you will see a new single volume with ~300 meg of space. You and Windows both will treat it just as if it a single drive, the controller on your board handles all the rest. Simply format, partition, set active, assign a drive letter, just like any other drive. If it does not show up under disk adminstration, you likely need to install the RAID drivers for your chipset.