RAID 0 config with two hdd's ,windows 10 o.s. on m.2 sata ssd

May 15, 2018
hi guys,please forgive my stupidity in advance for I know not what I do.I want to config(I've already read gains will be marginal at best)two 2tb Seagate Barracuda(ebay is giving them away,i know they are not top of the line)7200 rpm drives while retaining my o.s. on 118gb Plextor sata ssd(sharing 2 lanes,I chose appropiate connections).I will use this as a replacement rig for video editing my drone footage(4k files can be horrendous).Problem 1:I dont have original Windows 10 boot disk(o.s. is already installed).I made a recovery usb with gpt and uefi enabled,will this work?downloaded Intell r.s.t. as well as dictated by mobo specs.My components are:Gigabyte z370 Aorus Gaming 7 ver.1 mobo,ASUS o.c. edition 1060 gb gpu(ex gamer,I cant afford 1080 ti Ferarri),latest and hopefully greatest i 8 8700k cpu,Thermaltake toughpower grand rgb 750 watt psu,32 gb of Kingston value ram(no vengeance,no g.skill)ddr4 2666mhz,Corsair single a.i.o. liquid cooler,3 T.T. rgb 120 fans,2 T.T. not as pretty but still riing fans in an IN Win 805 case reading after the fact that airflow sucks.I dont game anymore so I havent overclocked but when rendering cpu is 42,30 something at idle,gpu is 50 at idle(d.l. gpu tweak 2 after thinking fans were broke until reading about 1060 strix on this forum).Problem 2: do I use Windows 10 raid options hidden in storage pool or Gigabytes bios?do I use ez raid or uefi raid settings from aforementioned bios(hopefully someone is familiar with this mobo manual).Manual says with ez setup,a disk switch option is there that allows you to switch even after o.s. is installed but its older and not compatible with new app center.I tried it and it installed but wouldnt do anything.Intel R.S.T. is installed per Gigabytes mandate,both hdds showing in device manager and r.s.t.(already in gpt and unallocated).According to them,disable CSM,switch from ACHI,enable optane memory which i dont have;then reboot,enter bios again and set up array.Seems ill fated from the get go since I dont have Windows disk but I figured Id try it.Suggestions,support and ridicule are gratefully accepted and ill leave on this note;the best purchase out of all of this was perhaps those cheap sh*t Evercool ram coolers for 2 bucks a piece.Jealous of the heat spreaders on x.m.p. ram,I watched my temps go from 3300 kelvin to -175 below freezing.

Solution

Leave the pagefile on the OS drive. And size depends on the amount of RAM and the SSD size.
For instance, back when a 120GB SSD was typical, but maybe you also had 16GB or 32GB RAM...that pagefile would take a significant chunk out of the available SSD space. So it might have been good to reduce that...

RealBeast

Titan
You have two options to achieve your goal, although it makes your HDD data storage far more vulnerable to loss.

You can use Intel RST and create a RAID array for the two disks. But to do this you would need to change your OS drive SATA driver to RAID from AHCI. You would use the same method as in W8 as explained HERE.

I would suggest that instead you consider using Storage Spaces in Windows 10 as discussed HERE.

May 15, 2018
Thanks for responding but I dismissed the idea as only a marginal gain(from what I read on the subject here)and in my case not worth it.Sorry for not looking up previous threads,there is a wealth of information here but as you can see,I cant figure out how to respond other than answering myself?and misquoting.I have no business attempting RAID until I can properly use this website.Anyone want to discuss pagefile size/location?

USAFRet

Titan

Leave the pagefile on the OS drive. And size depends on the amount of RAM and the SSD size.
For instance, back when a 120GB SSD was typical, but maybe you also had 16GB or 32GB RAM...that pagefile would take a significant chunk out of the available SSD space. So it might have been good to reduce that pagefile down to 1 or 2GB min/max.

Today, if you have a 250GB SSD or larger...just leave it as system managed. You're not scrabbling for drive space anymore, and it works just fine.
And you do want it on the SSD, because if the system needs it...you want that access to be fast. Not chunking along on the HDD.

Solution

RealBeast

Titan
Wise choice to not use RAID.