[SOLVED] Raid 0 dissapears randomly

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

damoke251

Reputable
Dec 9, 2017
Hi , this problem is making me go crazy,

I have 4 WD RED 4TB drives, in Raid 0 arraid, the 4 disks are on a external usb3, 4 bay case. for some reason it works sometimes and then the raid 0 dissapears, the disks are all ok , they appear in device manager and have done pysical tests to them they are all ok, but raid 0 just doesnt mount, until one day for no reason it pops out again,

I have had these same problem with another case, i thought the problem was the case ( thunderbolt 3, 4 bay) so i bought a usb 3 one and it worked for a while, now same problem again, its making me go crazy dont know what to do, this isnt the first trime its happened and i have reformated the drives created new raid, works for a bit and then random dissapearing again.

I have tried many things like updating bios etc

its a gigabyte designare mb, intel i9900k.

i would just reformat and forget about Raid 0 but have some info i dont want to lose.

disks appear in disk manager as Basic, with black color sayin unallocated, to of them seem to have 2048gb and 1678 gb partitions the other dont.

Solution
i just checked i have F8 Bios installed, i didnt know they released a new one on jan..for better or for worse. what i did notice is in bios in the usb section only 3 of the 4 disks i use for raid appear, but then in windows in disk managment there is the 4 of them.at this point i really dont know what to do...
swap the mobo it's a mobo issue no the boxes everyone who has this board has external box issues whether they be raid, hot swap, or whatever if you don't believe me look it up
Im a bit lost here, sorry, but how can i set up raid without having the disks conected? what i did was connect the enclosure and with those drives visible in disk manager made a stripped volume. or with softraid, once they appeared in the software created a raid 0. shoould i have done it another way? i will look into how to initialize raid on windows as this is new to me. also, i dont add new drives to the raid its a raid 0 with the same 4 drives all along, thanks!
also may have just found your issue 10000000%%%% every using raid0 with this mobo so far i guess
URGENT: Please avoid Clover 5123 and newer for the time being.
Also avoid BIOS F9j because USB 3.x devices will not connect to Thunderbolt ports. MAINLY RAID BOXES

damoke251

Reputable
Dec 9, 2017
Also avoid BIOS F9j because USB 3.x devices will not connect to Thunderbolt ports.
Causing issues with raid boxes, hot swap bays, and all sorts of things it most likely your bios if you have it up to date

Thanks for the response! i dont use Clover 5123, that is for hakcintosh right? wow i really hope you are right about the bios i am going to check wich one i have , thank you!!

Reactions: white.a.drew

damoke251

Reputable
Dec 9, 2017
Also avoid BIOS F9j because USB 3.x devices will not connect to Thunderbolt ports.
Causing issues with raid boxes, hot swap bays, and all sorts of things it most likely your bios if you have it up to date

i just checked i have F8 Bios installed, i didnt know they released a new one on jan..for better or for worse. what i did notice is in bios in the usb section only 3 of the 4 disks i use for raid appear, but then in windows in disk managment there is the 4 of them.at this point i really dont know what to do...

swap the mobo it's a mobo issue no the boxes everyone who has this board has external box issues whether they be raid, hot swap, or whatever if you don't believe me look it up

Solution

damoke251

Reputable
Dec 9, 2017
When you mean swap you mean get another mainboard completely diferent brand etc or just get it swaped for another one? same model i mean. because coincidentally i have another one in a box lying around. just didnt want to rebuild the system if i could.