Raid 0 Failed after flash bios

Moxed

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Hi everyone,

Here's my situation:

I have setup a raid-0 using 2x 1TB Caviar Black HDD ( was sure i would never have issue anymore, but was wrong )
This is a Software raid.

This weekend i start having blue screen out of no where with error code 0x0000007E.
After search it seem that it's due to disk issue. However it's brand new hard drive disk and only have data there no OS.

Thinking that something might be wrong in my bios config i reset it to default.

After doing that only one of my harddrive was no longer member of the raid array, and the other one was again.

I read a lot of google trying to figure how to backup the data or to rebuilt my raid with no data lost.

I tryed using ubuntu and install mdama or something like that but it never detect any raid ( md0 )

I cannot use DD to backup the data as i dont have external 2TB disk !!

I want to know, i read somewhere that if i delete the raid and rebuilt it the same way i could have all data as it was. Is this true ?

Or any other way to browser and restore what i need ( my projects )

I'v learn --> No more raid-0 for data !!! use raid-5 or raid-1 damit

Moxed

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Yes i did, since then only ONE drive is show as Member or Volume0 the other one show as Non-Member.

So i wonder if i just delete this Volume0 and re-create using same parameter, will i lose my data or it will remain as is ?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You already have set the BIOS to RAID mode. Now, as the boot messages progress there is a place you must push the correct key to enter the RAID Setup screens. Maybe this is where you are seeing the message that one HDD is a member of a RAID0 array, but the other is not.

What you may need to do is to use this screen ALMOST as if you were creating a new RAID array. Try this WITHOUT Deleting the array. Just tell it to add the second HDD to the array, and set your parameters as before. Do NOT allow it to Format or "Create" the array in the normal way. If you can do this and then back out, the system may be able to just read the two disks as it always did and your array will be working again.

Moxed

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010

I tryed this however in my RAID utility i couldn't add a second drive to the array the only option i have is to delete the array and re-create it.
so i tryed this way and it didn't work i had to format the array again to use it which I DID NOT DO.

there's a way that could work but would require me to invest money into a 2TB external HDD.
To use ubuntu live cd, plug my external drive and use DD command to copy block per block my 2x 1TB drive.
Then use a raid reconstructor with the two disk image to rebuilt the data.

Beside this anyone know a alternative way :( im rely lost !

Latest posts