wickywicky

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
I have a RAID 0 array consisting of two 250g SATA drives. Unfortunately the second drive has recently just died on me. I have some important data I need recovered since I was in between backups (died the day before backup day). Is there any way to recover this data without sending the drives out to a third party?

I wonder what would happen if everyone asked why about everything?

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If one drive is shot, then the data on the whole array is lost. Raid 0 doesn't give you much advantage in speed with these faster disks anyways, if any at all, so this type of thing you experienced is exactly why raid 0 isn't worth it.

You could TRY putting the crapped out drive in the freezer in a ziplock bag for a few hours, then put it back in. If all goes well you'll have enough time to copy off your old data before it craps out for good.

s signature has been formatted to fit your scr

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yep, that's basically what I was referring to. All they really do is lower your mean life time as this OP has figured out unfortunately.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Depends on the specific one. Cheap ones will let you raid 0 two drives or raid 1 two drives. The better ones that (obviously) support 4 connections will let you do a 0+1 setup usually as well.