RAID 0 for my new laptop?

phoenix777

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
I'm getting a new gaming laptop with 2 HDD. While configuring, I noticed that I can get RAID 0 upgrade for free. I did some research and I think RAID 0 is pretty sweet considering the speed boost. I'm not that worried about HDD failure since that's not very common these days. Should I really get RAID 0 for the extra speed? Is it worth the small risk? What's it like to have RAID 0 while using the computer? Do you still see two different HDD when you open up "My Computer"? Or is it just one big HDD that fit all your files?

thanks for the help

wathman

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
The computer will see it, and treat it exactly as if you had 1 big drive. You will get a noticeable speed boost, but it isn't huge. Laptop drives are at an increased risk of accidental failures since a fall at a bad time can kill a drive easily, with 2 drives acting as one, that increases your chance of total failure. This may be an acceptable risk for your system since "gaming laptops" use the word portable in a very loose manner of speaking. Given their size and weight you probably wouldn't be lugging it around every day, just to LAN parties and such. Gaming laptops already get pretty pathetic battery life since that's not what they were really built to do, having 2 drives in a laptop will shorten your battery life even further.

phoenix777

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Thanks for the info. The reason why I'm getting a laptop for gaming is because I'm in college so I can't get a desktop. I probably won't be carrying it around to classes either so it will be pretty safe.

You might want to reconsider that statement. I'm in college, and have a ridiculous, 50lb, full tower desktop anyways. It works just fine, and it can actually be cheaper to get a gaming desktop and a moderate spec laptop than to get a single high spec gaming laptop.

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
I suggest you get a desktop PC instead. Get a netbook if you want something to carry at school, it is much cooler than carrying an oversized laptop. Plus after a year or so, your gaming laptop might not be up to the task anymore.

wathman

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Depending on the OP's situation, I can see some practicality for his decision. I've been out of college for 10 years now, and back when I was a student, Gaming laptops were an oxymoron. There may have been some that could play half-life decently, but that kind of laptop would be pushing the $4000 mark back in those days.

I had my trusty desktop, and every major vacation and some long weekends, I'd pack up my desktop, and back-breaking 17" CRT from the dorm to home, and back. If the OP lives close enough to home, and will be gaming both at home and at school, a gaming laptop isn't such a bad idea.

phoenix777

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
yeah I'm in a bit of dilemma right now, choosing desktop or laptop. I have a laptop currently but someone wants to buy it from me for 500 bucks, which is a very good deal in my opinion. From my first year of college, I learned that I'm gonna need to use a computer in other places besides my dorm. Plus I will have to take notes with it in some classes (I would look awkward carrying around a 18.4" laptop though) . Also, I'm not sure that my desk is even gonna fit a desktop. So unless I'm convinced otherwise, I think I will get a laptop for now then get a desktop a few years later.