Raid 0 issues rampage v extreme build

flemingben1

Reputable
Jan 3, 2015
So ive upgraded to a new SSD for my O/S in my rebuild. And have plugged in my old harddrives HDD and am currently trying to raid 0 two seagate 2tb like I had in my old system all info has been wiped.

Current setup
Asus rampage V extreme
intel 5930k chip
corsair h110 cooler
Corsair 1200i psu
2x asus gtx970 strix graphics cards
corsair 900D case
1tb samsung SSD O/S
2x1tb Western Digital hdd (for some reason this raid has stayed the same so I have left them alone) they are in Raid 0
2x 2tb segate hdd's both single atm trying to raid 0

Is there any setting or tricks anyone can think of as in the raid configurator I'm unable to see the 2 x2tb hard drives to raid them together.

Solution
Yes, you need set the raid mode into bios, I thought you already use the 2x 1TB raid0. And if you don't set the raid mode into bios, that is why the 2x 2TB don't be recognized.
So back to you question, if you now run the SSD with OS in the ahci mode, and you don't set up the raid yet, and you want to run the single SSD with OS and other HDD in the raid ( 2x 1TB and 2x2TB), is it right? then I have question for you, which OS do you have? win7 and win8?
You need to initialize and format the 2TB HDDs first, then reboot the PC, press the "ctrl" + "I" to setup the raid0 for the 2x2TB HDD. Just make sure don't miss up the other 2x1TB raid, you can either name either 1TB raid0 or 2TB raid0 something like that.
Or you can do it under the intel RST too, but it will take a long long time to setup the 2x2TB raid.

flemingben1

Reputable
Jan 3, 2015
thanks for that so this might be a bit of a stretch to ask but on the rampage v to run the ssd it has to run in achi, so my question is do i just go to the bios and set it to raid first then reboot to do the config? and then once i raid it through ctrl+I just set it back and it will run ok?

Yes, you need set the raid mode into bios, I thought you already use the 2x 1TB raid0. And if you don't set the raid mode into bios, that is why the 2x 2TB don't be recognized.
So back to you question, if you now run the SSD with OS in the ahci mode, and you don't set up the raid yet, and you want to run the single SSD with OS and other HDD in the raid ( 2x 1TB and 2x2TB), is it right? then I have question for you, which OS do you have? win7 and win8?

Solution

amerifax

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
>>cin19 - So back to you question, if you now run the SSD with OS in the ahci mode, and you don't set up the raid yet, and you want to run the single SSD with OS and other HDD in the raid ( 2x 1TB and 2x2TB), is it right? then I have question for you, which OS do you have? win7 and win8?<<

I have the same system as above. I have a establish SSD as my OS, Windows 10 Pro. I have ahci setup in my bios. If I change the bios to raid will i be affecting my SSD OS? I also have a raid-0 configured using the Ctr M or ASmedia. I have also installed a StarTech PEXSAT34RH for 2 more Raid-0.

Hi amerifax, I used win7, win8.1 and win10. But I used the intel sata ports for the raid only in the backup/test PC by using the gigabyte sata ports.
For the raid on asmedia ports, install the OS in SSD first, and boot into the safe mode to change the registry subkeys value for asmedia storage ( you may find it out where they are, because I am not sure about that) from "3" to "0", also for intel ( iastorA, F, etc), msahci too, I found when you change those key values under the safe mode you are trouble free. Now you can use the SSD with OS either in ahci or RAID mode ( you need change the storage mode in the BIOS too) even you have the single SSD with the OS.
After that reboot the PC, download and install the asmedia ahci driver first, reboot the PC to set up the RAID by Ctr M ( make sure you set up for RAID under asmedia tab in the BIOS).
And I don't use any add-on card, you should check out the install guide for that add-on card. But I think you will do the same by installing the driver first then set up the RAID.