fragrantparrot

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
hi everyone!

im getting a little worried about if my raid 0 set up fails that i won't be able to restore all of my programs and all that good stuff :)
my first question is, is there a peice of software that will backup and restore a full raid 0 setup if one of the drives fails? obviously after replacing the HDD. including the programs and stuff like that (because my internet is rubbish and i dont want to download my games again).
my second question is. if there isn't a peice of software like that would i be better off switching to a single Seagate XT hybrid drive?

thanks
Gus

RealBeast

Titan
No, it one drive of a RAID 0 array fails the information is gone and probably not recoverable.

Your best bet would be to back the data up in the event of a failure, the XT hybrid could fail too and would still require back up.

fragrantparrot

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012

sorry i think i made the question a bit more confusing then it has to be :) what i mean is, would my system be as fast as the raid 0 i have now if i swapped that for a single hybrid? and my other question was. is there a peice of software that will backup my raid so if a drive fails i could restore my whole system? after replacing the drive.

larkspur

Distinguished

Any decent backup software can take an image of your RAID-0 volume and back it up to another volume. I'm pretty sure Win 7 has some backup utility built-in.

A RAID-0 volume appears and acts like any other ordinary storage volume. You can back it up all you like as long as your backup volume has the space. If it fails, you can replace the dead drive, re-initialize the RAID and then reinstall your backup image from your backup volume using whatever backup software you choose.

Unless you are running huge databases, 3 dimensional spreadsheets, 3D Rendering, video editing or some other special app, RAID 0 is really doing anything other than produce "wow" benchmarks for ya now. It's just not the holy grail that it was oft made out to be.

The Momentus XT is a great piece of technology....here we see that it takes the Momentus just 1 second longer to boot to Windows than a Vertex 3 SSD

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=806&Itemid=60&limit=1&limitstart=7
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=806&Itemid=60&limit=1&limitstart=9

Really Jack? I took away something completely different from the Momentus XT reviews I just saw, like, last week. My conclusion was more like "No better than a Velociraptor."

I didn't do more than think briefly about it in passing though. Maybe I need to take another look.

fragrantparrot

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
thats interesting :) i probably will switch to an XT fairly soon then. first i want to upgrade my mobo though. i kinda cheaped out on that so i could get better graphics and ram :p i regret that now.

thanks
Gus

Latest posts