[SOLVED] RAID 0 quite slow.

ciprianburbulea

Reputable
Aug 23, 2018
Hello.

So not too long ago I decided to put 3 SSD Patriot Burst, 120GB, 2.5", SATA-III in raid 0, 128kb.

I mainly did that because I can store larger games on them like COD where 1 ssd is not enough.

But I noticed that even windows... takes like 2 min to load up where when I didnt have them in raid in 30 secs I was already on teamspeak talking with my friends.
Also I had noticed sometimes when I open like a folder or I do something something intensive (ikr opening a folder isn't intensive) my windows literally drops frames.. the cursor moves like in 2 fps or something I have no clue.

One more instance in CS:GO for example it takes ages to load a map like literally ages where in that game it was supposed to be like instant.

Performance wise in games or browsing in general is perfectly fine the games actually run smooth and no fps drops except some games where I cannot explain why it happens but yeah.

I had done the raid multiple times resintalled windows and so on and still nothing.

I was wondering if there is a step I forgot to do in this raid or something I don't know, I had used the intel rapid storage tehnology or something on my asus z170 pro gaming motherboard and it worked just fine.

Here are my specs:

Asus z170 pro gaming
i5 6600k @ 4.5ghz boost
16gb ram @ 2400mhz
GTX 1070
Temps are all fine.
Also have a 2tb toshiba hard drive that works just fine. (not in raid).

If I don't find a solution I am thinking of leaving 1 ssd in non-raid and only put 2 in raid0 where I will store that COD game and the one in non-raid windows and other smaller games.

Thanks!

Ralston18

Titan
RAID just adds, for most people, a level of complexity that is simply not needed and makes drive and system management all the more cumbersome. Not much to be gained.

Go back to the 1 TB HDD and consider a larger (minimum 256 GB) SSD for the boot drive.

A 500 GB SSD is recommended and does not cost that much more.

Raid-0 performance benefits are an illusion and will not be seen with normal apps.
What is your stripe size?
If it is too small, you may be doing 3 I/O operations where one should suffice.
I can understand the benefit of having a single larger C drive space.
If you care about performance, buy a single larger ssd.
Better yet, buy a m.2 pcie device

popatim

Titan
Solution