Raid 0 set-up problems!

xtal01

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2005
O.K. Setting up my first raid (first new computer I'm putting together in 5 years). It booted first time (actually even connected all the led's in the correct polarity).

Got an Asus P4B-E. I have two seagate barracuda 250 gig sata drives.

I wanted to use the intel chip (...8r) for the raid controller (avoiding the problems I heard about this jmicron conrtoller).

I set bios to raid (chooses were ide, raid and achi ... don't know what achi stands for).

I hit F6 when loading windows and loaded drivers off floppy (drives came with motherboard).

I keep getting error saying didn't find mass storage devices.

I set the bios to achi (again don't know what this is), did the F6 and floppy and then windows started right into start-up.

What do I need to do?

Shouldn't the bios be set to Raid?

Should I flash the bios and get the newest drives off the web?

Can I set the bios to achi and still use raid drives?????

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks .... Mike

There are a few things to check, it can be tricky.
Make sure your RAID controller is enabled in your bios...
Make sure to set your boot order to CD/DVD first, then RAID.

When you boot, immediately after the first first POST sreen, you will very quickly see something like "Press F5 (or whatever) to enter RAID setup".

If you do not see this line when you boot, then you have not enabled the RAID controller in your BIOS.

Hit whatever key, or combination of keys it tells you to get into your RAID BIOS, or RAID setup screen. You then will go into the RAID setup and you configure your drives from there. There will be options for formatting, and RAID 0, 1, JBOD, whatever and however you want to configure your drives, mirrored, striped, or whatever. You will want the "striped configuration" After that is done, then you can reboot with your Windows CD, your BIOS will then see the set-up RAID configuration of your drives, and begin your windows installation and do the driver install.
Sounds like you may have not actually enabled the RAID controller, or you have not done the actual RAID set up in the RAID setup option you see when you boot up.

xtal01

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2005
O.K.

I didn't see (althought it was 2:00 a.m.) any sub bios so I obviously missed that.

The drivers I got came off the disk with the motherboard but it could be that there are newer ones (and maybe a newer bios) on the web site.

I'll give it a try again tonight!

Thanks so much!!!!

Mike