[SOLVED] RAID 0 speed slower than expected z97

sendhere878

Commendable
Dec 8, 2018
Hello all,

I just installed 4 Samsung EVO 840 in a RAID 0 configuration. I tested the drive's speed with CrystalDisk, and it reports 1400 MB/s. I was expecting 2000 MB/s. CrystalDiskInfo reports two drives at 100% optimal and the other two at 80% optimal.

Is there a limit SATA speed that the Z97's Platform Controller Hub can support? Otherwise, I haven't tested the drives individually because I figured I'd ask this question first.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
So I'm still wondering what the max speed for SATA on my motherboard is. It also supports 2 more drives for a total of 6.
550ish MB/s.
Just like any other SATA III port.

If you're talking about 6x in RAID 0....try it.

But please...measure actual user facing performance with a single drive, and then with the RAID.
How long does it take to do X...

Sequential benchmark numbers are for bragging rights.

sendhere878

Commendable
Dec 8, 2018
RAID 0 + SSD is absolutely slower than expected.
The overhead in the RAID sucks up a lot.
Benchmark speeds will NOT be "4x" that of a single drive.

The user facing performance is even worse. You may see ZERO difference vs single drives.
Yes, really. Especially if this is the OS drive.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485.html

Before this I had one 840 Evo which benchmarked 500 MB/s. Then I upgraded to two 840 EVOs in RAID 0. That benchmarked at exactly double (1000 MB/s).
SO, of course, I'm expecting 2000 MB/s.

USAFRet

Titan
Before this I had one 840 Evo which benchmarked 500 MB/s. Then I upgraded to two 840 EVOs in RAID 0. That benchmarked at exactly double (1000 MB/s).
SO, of course, I'm expecting 2000 MB/s.
Adding more physical drives is not necessarily linear.

And of course, raw benchmark sequential numbers are not the same as user facing performance. Unless you just want bragging rights.

And your 840 benchmark of "500 MB/s" may be a teeny bit slow.
Here is one of my 840s. 24/7 use since Dec 2014.
miRYafQ.png

sendhere878

Commendable
Dec 8, 2018
Adding more physical drives is not necessarily linear.

And of course, raw benchmark sequential numbers are not the same as user facing performance. Unless you just want bragging rights.

And your 840 benchmark of "500 MB/s" may be a teeny bit slow.
Here is one of my 840s. 24/7 use since Dec 2014.
miRYafQ.png
So I'm still wondering what the max speed for SATA on my motherboard is. It also supports 2 more drives for a total of 6.

USAFRet

Titan
550ish MB/s.
Just like any other SATA III port.

If you're talking about 6x in RAID 0....try it.

But please...measure actual user facing performance with a single drive, and then with the RAID.
How long does it take to do X...

Sequential benchmark numbers are for bragging rights.

Solution