RAID 0 through BIOS vs Striped through Windows

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
i have found a few discussions stating that you will not benefit with one more than the other for multi-disk storage array.
wondering if there are any true benefits to RAID setup through BIOS vs Striped setup through Disk Management.

have a few extra SSDs around and am creating a new storage solution. so no OS install, no boot options, no backup setup, nothing outside of actual storage.

Mattios

Honorable
Generally hardware RAID is preferred because if your Windows gets corrupted for whatever reason, your drives aren't relying on it. I don't know if any Windows installation can read any software based arrays - even if it could, I'd trust hardware based over software.

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011

as i stated: no OS install, and all backup & Environment Variables are set to other drives. so Windows is not relying on it, though i don't know how the software striped setup functions with it relying on Windows.
both of my Windows installs (8.1\10) recognize the striped array i'm trying out and the software installed on them. if the array info is added to a disk sector or what. ??

just going to test a few benchmarks through both Windows installs and then maybe switch to RAID 0 and see if there's any noticeable difference. hoping someone has\had already been through this with some results.

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
back testing a few games and appears very stable and fast. no difference in disk benchmarks speed-wise with single disk vs striped array disks setup using these OCZ SSDs. they are quite a bit slower than my Samsung all around though.
will just stick with this Striped through Disk Management setup for now i guess. probably move the more demanding games and those with longer load times to this disk setup.