Raid 0 very slow read speed

Androkiller

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Recently i noticed explorer was very slow on my computer all of a sudden after Creators update so I reverted back thinking that explorer was corrupted but this did not solve the issue.

I checked SMART status and the drives where ok, but then noticed when benchmarking my array the read speeds are stupidly slow compared to the write speeds.
So I have done the following:
I have updated Intel RST
Disabled Write-cache buffering
checked I have the latest BIOS version
Defraged
Verified the Drives via RST

Still i have not seen any improvement and i am not in the mood to nuke my setup any suggestions?

Crystal Diskmark results

HDD 1 ST1000DM003-1SB102 1TB
HDD 2 ST1000DX001-1NS162 1TB
Mobo Asus ROG Maximus Impact vii

FYI I have 2 arrays 1 HDD and 1 SDD (both raid 0). The ssd array is fine and is my boot array, just HDD array playing up.

RST raid config

other specs

Honestly there is no reason to be in RAID 0, especially the SSD as you will be killing it faster than if you stuck to AHCI.

And I think that because the SSDs are RAIDed also, that they are being slowed down by the slower RAID speed of the HDDs (unless they are 15K RPM drives which is around SSD 'speed')?

Honestly I think your best choices here, sell off the 2 SSDs, get a 256GB and have three drives (1SSD, two 1TB drives) is the best solution, the answer you want to hear sadly, but is best practice to achieve your desired results.

JaredDM

Honorable

I believe from reading this that the SSDs are together in a RAID and the HDDs are together in a RAID. I don't think he's combined the SSDs and HDDs, or that would be really stupid. Also, OP said the SSD array was fine, just the HDD one that's the issue.

Also, 15K drives are still nowhere near the random IO 4k read speed of pretty much any SSD.

@OP, I would agree that you need to check if something else might be reading from or otherwise accessing the array. Things such as antivirus, indexing, pagefile, etc. can all affect the read speed. As could something like an encryption virus actively encrypting files (hopefully not). It might be best to boot to some live media and run a benchmark from there to see if there's a problem.

Androkiller

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013

From task manager and resource monitor the disk usage was at 0 or 1%.
Not to sure what indexing means other than from for Windows search which I disabled to see if it would improve but did not