falcon9202

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
I built a system w/ the following specs:

ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe
Intel 3.0E
2x512 PC-3200 RAM
2x80GB SATA Maxtor DiamondMax 9 HDs

and I wanted to have a striped RAID between the two HDs. So I used the promise stuff to build my array, which worked successfully, but then I couldn't get XP to see my array when I tried to install XP!!! I gave it to drivers that I put onto floppies that came w/ my ASUS mobo (for the SATA drives and the RAID) but it JUST DOESN'T WORK!!!

I also set my BIOS stuff to see any RAID configurations and the use "enhanced mode" w/ SATA. I got XP to install if I didn't RAID the two drives, and just kept them separate.

Thanks

etp777

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
Did you install the correct raid drivers? There are two different raid controllers on that board. The Intel one built into the ICH6R SOuthbridge, and the Promise one on a seperate chip. I believe the connectors closest to the bottom of the board are the Intel ones, and the ones about 2" up from bottom are the Promise ones(thouygh that may be reveresed, check your board to be sure). You probalby have the wrong drivers on the floppy.

falcon9202

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
Yeah, I noticed both of the connectors for the SATA drives, and I tried both of them. I think it may be the drivers as well, but I used the "floppy image maker" utility by ASUS to make two disks for the drivers. If I only have two SATA drives (no IDE) where should I put them?
Thanks again.

etp777

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
I would use the Intel Southbridge SATA connectors I believe.

First of all, I'm an idiot on several counts here.

#1, simple mistake, but it's ICH5R, not 6R(that's the southbridge for the new 9x5 chipsets)

#2, looking at manual, the Intel connectors are the top ones, Promise ones are ones close to bottom of board

#3, you need SP1 in XP to isntall sata correctly> So if you don't have that already, search for information her ein forum, or on web, about slipstreaming SP1 into your XP isntall cd.

Think with those corrections of my stupid mistakes, plus the manual, you should probalby be able to get it up and running alright.

Start on page 5-27 of your manual to get your sata raid setup right.

Believe with SP1 slipstreamed you don't need an extra driver for the intel raid<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by etp777 on 07/10/04 04:26 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

falcon9202

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
I do have my SATA connectors in the upper one (the Intel connectors) and I looked at those reference pages again and noticed that I didn't have the correct RAID drivers. I do have XP w/ SP1 slipstreamed, and I'll make three (I hope that's enough) floppies for XP (so it can see my harddrive configuration). I'll let you guys know what happens.

Thanks again