[SOLVED] RAID 0 With 2 NVMe's of 2 Different Speeds

Regev

Reputable
Jul 3, 2020
Hi :)

I have two SSD NVMe drives (1TB each) - one is read/write 3.5/2 and the other 2/1.6.

I was thinking of using them in RAID 1 config, to protect data (I thought about using one externally with an enclosure and manually backup every week, but that's too much micro-management for me). My question:

Will the slower drive bottleneck and slow down the first drive (and the system generally) than if I simply used the faster drive solo (or the two of them in RAID 0)? Are there any drawbacks to this configuration?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
Which tool is best if all I want to do is automate a full backup into an external USB/drive -- so that it's basically a clone of my system -- and in case of failure I can just plug it in and install the system (on a new drive) exactly as it was? Reason is because Linux Arch takes some effort to install and configure, I wouldn't want to do it all over again in the case of failure.
CloneZilla is a good Linux based tool.

USAFRet

Titan
RAID 0 is the antithesis of "data protection". Data is spanned across the drives. If one drive dies, or the RAID controller dies, all data is lost.
There is no "protection".

Drawbacks? Yes
Benefits? None.

Backing up your data does not need to be, nor should it be, done manually.

Reactions: Regev

USAFRet

Titan
How do I automate it (using Linux), and to what drive?
Lots of tools available

Regev

Reputable
Jul 3, 2020
Which tool is best if all I want to do is automate a full backup into an external USB/drive -- so that it's basically a clone of my system -- and in case of failure I can just plug it in and install the system (on a new drive) exactly as it was? Reason is because Linux Arch takes some effort to install and configure, I wouldn't want to do it all over again in the case of failure.

USAFRet

Titan
CloneZilla is a good Linux based tool.

Solution

Regev

Reputable
Jul 3, 2020
Perfect, thank you so much. Only one question, say all the files on my drive take 290GB out of the 1TB available. How the heck do I fit all that into a USB stick? If I end up using the NVMe, then what have I achieved? :)

On their docs they say: "Though the image size is limited by the boot media's storage capacity, this problem can be eliminated by using a network filesystem such as sshfs or samba." - what does that mean?

USAFRet

Titan
Perfect, thank you so much. Only one question, say all the files on my drive take 290GB out of the 1TB available. How the heck do I fit all that into a USB stick? If I end up using the NVMe, then what have I achieved? :)

On their docs they say: "Though the image size is limited by the boot media's storage capacity, this problem can be eliminated by using a network filesystem such as sshfs or samba." - what does that mean?
That CloneZilla USB stick is simply to boot from. It contains the application.
You need some other storage device of sufficient size to clone that data to. Doesn't have to be the other NVMe drive.