rainwilds

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
Hi all,

I am currently running a RAID 1 setup with two Samsung 1TB F3s. I wanted the mirroring of one of the drives for redundancy. I use an external drive as a backup. Its becoming clear now though that I will need more harddrive space but would still like the mirroring. If I am correct, with RAID 1 you don't get extra hdd space, it just mirrors a drive.

Whould RAID 1+0 or 0+1 work to give me more hdd space and mirroring? I will get another 3-three additional drives if necessary.

Thanks

Solution
Yes it would, but there are other, in some cases simpler, ways to add more space

1) Buy two larger drives, set them up in RAID 1, and copy all the data to them. Remove the old ones.
2) Buy two drives, set them up on RAID 1, and put some of your files on the new volume.
3) If you are going to set up RAID 0+1, or 10 (slightly simpler), using the existing drives, you will have to back up all of the data currently in your system because putting the existing drives into another RAID set will cause them to be re-initialized and all of your data will be erased.
Yes it would, but there are other, in some cases simpler, ways to add more space

1) Buy two larger drives, set them up in RAID 1, and copy all the data to them. Remove the old ones.
2) Buy two drives, set them up on RAID 1, and put some of your files on the new volume.
3) If you are going to set up RAID 0+1, or 10 (slightly simpler), using the existing drives, you will have to back up all of the data currently in your system because putting the existing drives into another RAID set will cause them to be re-initialized and all of your data will be erased.

Solution

rainwilds

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010

Right, thanks for the informed answer. I think I will have to go RAID 0+1 or 10. I have a mirror copy on my external hdd now so won't be a problem.