RAID 1 and/or 10

Toasterman2

Reputable
Mar 12, 2015
Hello, I was put in charge of two servers which utilize RAID but I am not too knowledgeable about RAID. Mainly I'm just looking for peace of mind.
From what I understand, RAID 1 and 10 have fault tolerance and a disk can be replaced should it have issues. We have a Dell Poweredge 1800 with hardware RAID1 and another Dell server running software RAID10 via CentOS.
Thanks in advance.
1) My main concern right now is this: If a disk fails and I replace it, does it automatically know which disk is the new one? I wouldn't want it to overwrite the existing disk with the empty new one and end up with nothing.
2) If my RAID card fails and I have to get a new one, does it have to be an identical model?

Toasterman2

Reputable
Mar 12, 2015
Thank you,
This server doesn't have any hot-swap so I'll have no choice but to power it off to change the drive. Should this make any difference? I see forum posts that go both ways on this.

jdcranke07

Honorable
To be honest, I couldn't say yay or nay as I do not mess with servers. I use RAID setups in my desktops though and I haven't had an issue with powering them down yet. Typically, I use Raid 10 where I can. But, on my gaming rig I'm not to worried about saving data on it so it is setup in a RAID 0 using SSDs.