Dec 9, 2019
Hello, here are my specs

Ryzen 9 5900x
EVGA 3080
Asus x570 tuf pro (wifi)
2, 500gb NVME drives (raid 0)
2, 500GB sata ssd drives (raid 0)
2, 2 TB HDD's (raid 1)

I recently did a fresh reinstall of windows 11, I backed all my important data up to the raid 1 array for my 2 tb hdd. I also took the precaution of unplugging it as not to mess it up, I reinstalled windows and plugged it back in but the raid 1 shows offline in the bios (I did a hardware raid). I'm not sure what to do as Windows does not see the HDD's whatsoever, My other 2 raids are fine and showing and all set up, but not the raid 1 array. I attempted to connect one of them to my laptop using a sata to USB adapter and it does show up in disk management, but it shows it has the 2 TB partition and is online but it will not show up in the file manager and there is no option to get it to show up, I don't want to re initilize I'm really hoping theres a way I can recover this as I had very important data on it.

MCHallow

Commendable
Dec 9, 2019
Assign a drive letter to your RAID1 volume.

And please show full screenshot from Disk Management - with all the drives visible in lower part of the window.
Currently only Disk 2 is being shown.
The HDD's won't show up if it's plugged into the PC via SATA connection, but they do show up with SATA to USB connection, these are internal drives. I only have one of the disks plugged in with USB atm, none of them show with both plugged in via sata. View: https://imgur.com/a/5fHuoye
I cannot assign a drive letter

Well, is the data worth $90 to you? If so, then you might as well pay it.

After you get the files, unless you have a very specific edge case in which RAIDs make sense, save yourself time, energy, and money in the future and ditch the RAIDs.
I might stop using it, I purchased a second HDD a while ago to implement raid 1 on it for redundancy.

MCHallow

Commendable
Dec 9, 2019
RAID is not a backup solution. It's an uptime solution, which is a very different thing.

One unneeded RAID is problem enough. But three?
Just have the other 2 raids for speed, and I probably will find a better backup method in the future after this :) I'm really hoping there's another way to recover this w/o spending $90.

USAFRet

Titan
Just have the other 2 raids for speed, and I probably will find a better backup method in the future after this :) I'm really hoping there's another way to recover this w/o spending $90.
And what drives might be in the other two RAID arrays?
What type of RAIDs?

Edit
These:
2, 500gb NVME drives (raid 0)
2, 500GB sata ssd drives (raid 0)
2, 2 TB HDD's (raid 1)

Oh my, thats bad.

RAID 0 + SATA III SSD:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485.html

RAID 0 + NVMe SSD:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-950-pro-256gb-raid-report,4449.html

DSzymborski

Titan
Well, not speed really. Benchmark performance, which uses large, highly sequential data. In many cases, such as gaming, you'll frequently actually slow down the real world performance. RAIDing non-platter drives for speed is akin to painting a racing stripe on your car. Or worse, since the racing stripe won't actively hurt your car. It's not even good nerd cred, more like buying pre-torn jeans or showing up at a skate park with a board that has a price sticker on it.

Yeah, paying money sucks, but given the janky way this PC is configured, something was bound to happen, and will again.

MCHallow

Commendable
Dec 9, 2019
Well, not speed really. Benchmark performance, which uses large, highly sequential data. In many cases, such as gaming, you'll frequently actually slow down the real world performance. RAIDing non-platter drives for speed is akin to painting a racing stripe on your car. Or worse, since the racing stripe won't actively hurt your car. It's not even good nerd cred, more like buying pre-torn jeans or showing up at a skate park with a board that has a price sticker on it.

Yeah, paying money sucks, but given the janky way this PC is configured, something was bound to happen, and will again.
I have physically seen improvements in loading times, disk speed transfers, and more improvements with my configuration :) Please know what you are saying before you post it, and if you don't know a solution please don't tell me how to run my build. I have had 0 issues with any other drives, this only happened when I optionally reinstalled windows 11.

DSzymborski

Titan
I have physically seen improvements in loading times, disk speed transfers, and more improvements with my configuration :) Please know what you are saying before you post it, and if you don't know a solution please don't tell me how to run my build. I have had 0 issues with any other drives, this only happened when I optionally reinstalled windows 11.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo

You're free to believe anything you want, of course. You're already out $90 at least because of this nonsense. Guess some new users require harder lessons than others.

MCHallow

Commendable
Dec 9, 2019
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo

You're free to believe anything you want, of course. You're already out $90 at least because of this nonsense. Guess some new users require harder lessons than others.
It's not placebo when I've physically done disk speed tests showing improved speeds, and a physical stopwatch which has shown proven to increase loading times in games as well as boot times, so come again?

MCHallow

Commendable
Dec 9, 2019
Please tell us there is at least a full backup of all content on these 2x RAID 0 things.
Surprisingly, I was considering backing up the entire drive to my NAS but I got cocky and figured it wouldn't be a problem and was not patient . Heh, guess I was wrong.

I unplugged those drives to stay safe during the reinstall, I did not change any bios/raid settings so I'm really confused on why the array is offline.

USAFRet

Titan
Surprisingly, I was considering backing up the entire drive to my NAS but I got cocky and figured it wouldn't be a problem and was not patient . Heh, guess I was wrong.

I unplugged those drives to stay safe during the reinstall, I did not change any bios/raid settings so I'm really confused on why the array is offline.
Not so surprisingly.
We see far too many instances of people realizing they need a backup, 5 minutes after they do.

With a RAID 0, any error can cause loss of all data.
Bad drive, bad controller, unexpected power drop, etc, etc.

Running a RAID 0 with no comprehensive backup routine is like driving with faulty brakes and no car insurance.

MCHallow

Commendable
Dec 9, 2019
Not so surprisingly.
We see far too many instances of people realizing they need a backup, 5 minutes after they do.

With a RAID 0, any error can cause loss of all data.
Bad drive, bad controller, unexpected power drop, etc, etc.

Running a RAID 0 with no comprehensive backup routine is like driving with faulty brakes and no car insurance.
I don't have any issues with raid 0, I don't store important things on raid 0, My hard drives were set to raid 1, my SSDs are raid 0. I am not having any issues with any other drives

MCHallow

Commendable
Dec 9, 2019
All electronics work 100%.
Right up until the moment they don't.

But, you do you.

So what is your next move with this faulty RAID 1?
Currently I'm installing AMD raid software to see if I can do anything through that, as I said, I don't store anything important on my raid 0 drives besides steam games and to hold windows. I can very easily get back steam games. I will continue to use raid 0 on these drives but will find an alternate solution for my backup next time. Do you have any advice to automatically back things up to a NAS?

USAFRet

Titan
Do you have any advice to automatically back things up to a NAS?
My procedure has been modified a little since I wrote this, but here's the basics:

MCHallow

Commendable
Dec 9, 2019
All electronics work 100%.
Right up until the moment they don't.

But, you do you.

So what is your next move with this faulty RAID 1?
View: https://imgur.com/a/9iJcFJW
Here is the configuration, it says the drives for the raid 1 are missing, when they are plugged in. Is there any way to "refresh" it to get it to realize that the 2 disks are apart of the raid? You can clearly see t hat the 2 TB drives are showing up there and online but nowhere else.

Here is the configuration, it says the drives for the raid 1 are missing, when they are plugged in.
Is there any way to "refresh" it to get it to realize that the 2 disks are apart of the raid? You can clearly see t hat the 2 TB drives are showing up there and online but nowhere else.
You probably have to connect them to correct sata ports (ports they were connected, when RAID1 was created.
Do not use any USB to SATA adapters for those drives.