Question RAID 1 continually fails (new HDDs)

Jan 9, 2022
Hi I recently purchased 2x
Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB NAS Hard Drive, 3.5 inch, 7200RPM, 128MB Cache, CMR

To replace the drives I currently had running (fine) in RAID 1. Set them up in the BIOS following the instructions, and installed a fresh Windows (11). Went into disk management to format/allocate the drives, when formatting it took around 15minutes and returned with “Windows was unable to complete the format”. After a bit of trial and error I got it to format straight away and everything looked fine. On restart, the drive disappeared from windows - checking the BIOS - RAID failure. Tried again, but each time it would go from working, to degraded, to failed.

Managed to run the Seagate "Seatools" long scan on them, which returned with no errors.
Tried updating BIOS to the latest one that supports windows 11, and also tried going back to windows 10 - same problem.
I have tested copying data to the drives individually without a problem, they just dont seem to work in RAID.

Is this likely a problem with the setup, or the drives?
Thanks

Specs:
MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC
Intel core i7-8700K
64.0 GB RAM
MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070

Jan 9, 2022
Are you installing windows on those RAID1 drives?
If no, then configure them into mirrored volumes with windows RAID (instead of motherboard RAID).
Thanks for reply - nope I have windows running on a NVMe, so I could give windows raid a go. Out of interest, why do you suggest that? Is it likely an issue motherboard side, or is that just a preffered way of setting it up?
I dont know a massive amount about this (have run windows raids in the past though)

Thanks again

If you set RAID with motherboard RAID, then in case of motherboard failure you'll have problems with recovering data.
With windows raid you can just connect drives to another windows pc, import drives and all data becomes available.
You have better compatibility and still the same features.

Reactions: shmith