Question RAID 1 kinda, sorta problem

kaczan3

Reputable
Jun 20, 2019
When I was taking a nap, my monitors got blank. The PC was unresponsive and I had to do a hard reset. During bootup, one of the RAID 1 HDDs got labled as bad. There were some werid sounds now and then over the last months so I just assumed the HDD physically died.

But before replacing it, I checked it on my other PC. And the HDD was not only working, but it could boot the other PC.

I took the "bad" HDD back to my RAID and in Intel Rapid program on Windows 10, marked it as good. Then, the program rebuild the RAID over the next 9 hours. It worked just fine, but after 1 day, the HDD hot marked as bad again. I rebuilt the RAID again and now I'm keeping my PC on, monitoring if anything happens.

Is the HDD really bad? No weird sonds now or anything. If it was bad, would it even rebuild the RAID at all? Could this be a fault of a SATA or power cable being defective and the HDD losing power/communication for a second, thus destroying the RAID? Are there any steps I can take to make sure it's working? Any programs I could use to diagnose?

kaczan3

Reputable
Jun 20, 2019
No, I was surprised it worked so I plugged it back in immediately. What program should I use to check SMART data?
Also, funny that you mention temperature. We had a series of very hot days here. But I've installed some program to control my case side fan and it shows both HDD at 42 C when having tons of browser tabs open and watching Twitch.

edit: Running some tests on that fan speed program - SpeedFan. So far no errors.

Last edited:

kaczan3

Reputable
Jun 20, 2019
The bad disk returned a "read error" after the tests in SpeedFan, but no further details (actually most elements seem to be in good range and the bar for health is good, so weird). The RAID got disrupted after putting the computer in sleep mode. Now I'm testing the faulty HDD in another PC and I also get a read error. Will formatting this disc or scanning it help at all? Or should I just replace it?

Edit: Starndard W10 scanning on the 2 partitions of that faulty disk showed no errors.

View: https://imgur.com/a/XjC2OmR

Last edited:
Hi, what noises specifically was the drive doing while working in the RAID? And did they continue?

To verify if the drive is faulty or not, it is better to use the diagnostic software that the manufacturer provides. Could you test the drive with that software?

kaczan3

Reputable
Jun 20, 2019
I'd hear a loud single click sometimes. Like once a month. I'd also hear like normal working noices, but like 3 times louder.

I'll try WD LifeHuard next, but for now the disk failed SMART test in SpeedFan. I Run a butterfly test in HDDScan and it started returning bad blocks one after another. I stopped when it hit 100k bad blocks at only 1% scanning done. It seems like the disk works on light load but stops working under stress. Is this RIP?

TRENDING THREADS