Raid 1 thoughts

rsfjr87

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016
Hello all.

I have a question about raid 1.

Imagine if I remove one HDD from the array, use it outside the array and save some files in it.

When I put the HDD back in the array, how the mirroring is going to work?

HDD with new data -> HDD that was in the array.

Or the reverse?

All the best
Ronaldo

Solution
Don't worry about it. ;)

As for liking WD, yup, you're quite right. I'm an official Western Digital representative, as well as my colleagues (SuperSoph_WD and D_Know_WD) so you can turn to us for anytime you might have an issue with and we'll try to do our best to help. :)

Now on the more pressing matter - sorry to hear that you're having issues with the drive. However, not spinning down might be due to a BIOS setting. Are you sure you're turning off the computer as in "shutdown" and not sleep or hibernate?
Anyway, the first order of business should be backing up your most important data, just as a safety measure. After that I'd recommend that you download DLG (Data Lifeguard) and run both tests (Quick and Extended), to see if...
Hey there, rsfjr87.

Basically in most cases it might make a mess. Read the RAID part of the user manual for the mobo (I'm assuming you're talking about a hardware RAID, but please correct me if I'm wrong). There should be some sort of option like "break RAID", this should be able to make your 2 RAID 1 drive into 2 independent drives. Once this is done you can use one of them to write additional info.
If you don't break the RAID 1 array, it's quite possible for the drive not to be properly recognized by another computer - (different controllers, different chipset)
If you want to rebuild RAID 1 the best option would be to have a blank 2nd drive.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

rsfjr87

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016
Thanks a lot, boogie!

Sorry, I accidentally clicked downvote instead of up vote.

I am using an independent controller, JMicron. I can boot the HDD normally in another PC. I it has two inputs HDD 1 and HDD 2. I firstly tried the un obvious solution. By setting the HDD 2 as the movable HDD (mess made) . Now I am going to try the reverse.

By the way, I see that you like WD. So as I. Recently I bought a wd black. Some times it makes a beep sound and, when I turn the pc off, it doesn't spin off. RMA?

Sorry again

All the best.

Don't worry about it. ;)

As for liking WD, yup, you're quite right. I'm an official Western Digital representative, as well as my colleagues (SuperSoph_WD and D_Know_WD) so you can turn to us for anytime you might have an issue with and we'll try to do our best to help. :)

Now on the more pressing matter - sorry to hear that you're having issues with the drive. However, not spinning down might be due to a BIOS setting. Are you sure you're turning off the computer as in "shutdown" and not sleep or hibernate?
Anyway, the first order of business should be backing up your most important data, just as a safety measure. After that I'd recommend that you download DLG (Data Lifeguard) and run both tests (Quick and Extended), to see if anything alarming pops-up. Here's how to do that: How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows.
If everything seems fine, I'd suggest that you give it a try with a different SATA port and SATA cables, or even better - with a different computer, to see if the problem still persists.

Please keep me posted.

Solution

rsfjr87

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016
Thanks.

Going to run the diagnostic tests. BTW I have a 1995 caviar that runs smoothly until today.

Well. It used to spin down. Either in the sata or e-sata. (I have another disk that spins down, even if I put the pc to sleep).

It started yesterday (bought the drive a week ago).
The beeps are rare. But it never spins down anymore. I cannot hear there needle setting down anymore and, when I really shut down the pcb, the down spin isn't smooth.
It makes a sound like when you brake a car but trembling at about 15 Hz.

Thanks

Wow, that '95 drive is probably some kind of a record. I have a 2007 WD Passport drive, which is still running, but yours is on a whole different level. :)

As for the WD Black, don't hesitate with the data backup. The most important thing is that you files are safe. After that proceed with the DLG tests and the different cables/port tests. Hopefully it turns out to be something minor like a faulty SATA cable.

Note that the Extended test might take a couple or a few hours, depending on the drive's capacity (the larger it is, the longer it would be).
I'll be sure to check your reply once you post it.

rsfjr87

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016

It is a gigantic 1.2 GB drive. lol.

I will make sure to do all the tests. Change cables. PSU. And run some low level diagnostic tools for acoustics tests.

Data is safe. Just did a image of the disk in the last weekend.

All the best

rsfjr87

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016
Bizarre.

Sometimes when I boot it tells the smart test fail, and to replace the disk immediately.

While in WD DLG for windows. It passes on quick smart test.

In DLG for DOS it says that ECC errors were found.

Have you gotten around performing the extended test as well? It basically scans each individual sector, that's why it takes longer than the quick test, but it could detect something missed by the quick test.

For now, from what I hear, it's really possible that the drive could be at fault.

rsfjr87

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016

Hi. I ran it twice, when I bought. Still haven't enough time to do another one.

Going for DLG for DOS. Seems more reliable.

Thanks a lot!

rsfjr87

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016

Running the extended now.

However, the quick test has shown no errors this time.

What is really bugging me is the humming sound when it spins down.

Thanks

Do let me know what happens after the extended test, just so that I'm updated.

A humming sound is usually normal, but having in mind everything you've been through with the HDD and the conflicting results you've gotten from the tests, I'd recommend that you get in touch with the vendor you got it from and ask about RMA, or get in touch with our customer support, explain your situation and see if you can create an RMA case and get it replaced: WD Support Portal

rsfjr87

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016
Well. Extended test went well. But the drive is dead.

It is not detected by BIOS, nor a boot rescue imaging software, nor by another OS with the HDD in a dock.

Already contacted WD people, they offered a RMA. But due the distance and customs duties going to try contacting the vendor.

Sure, thing.

Passing the extended test means that the HDD has no damaged sectors, so the problem must lie elsewhere. I guess it might be some sort of a PCB issues having in mind that some of the tests go without a hitch and sometimes they fail.

Anyway, sorry everything turned out this way, but at least you are able to RMA the drive. Hopefully your replacement HDD has a long and happy life.

Please let me know how's everything after you get the replacement.