Question RAID 1 with M.2 NvME SSDs - Recommendation Requested

Sep 28, 2020
We are working to build three new 2u servers for a customer. For better storage performance, I have chosen to use Samsung EVO NvMe M.2 SSDs. The challenge with this choice is that I don’t have a good way to implement hardware RAID 1. We are using dual AMD Epyc processors with a Supermicro MBD-H11DSI-NT-B motherboard in a Chenbro RM21706TG3-R650L 2u case. The motherboard has a single M.2 slot along with 2 OCuLInk ports, but no built in RAID support. The case includes a SAS/SATA hot swap back plane with SATA cable connections.

I have tried using 2.5 inch M.2 to U.2 adapters connected to the case back plane and from there to a Supermicro MegaRAID AOC-S3008L-L8i RAID controller card with an SFF-8643 to SATA breakout cable. While this combination physically connects together, the RAID controller does not recognize the M.2 NvMe storage modules with this configuration. Do you have a recommendation on a reliable, high performance way to implement RAID 1 using two M.2 NvMe SSDs and the motherboard/case combination listed above?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Nitromon

Honorable
Feb 14, 2015
Do you have a recommendation on a reliable, high performance way to implement RAID 1 using two M.2 NvMe SSDs and the motherboard/case combination listed above?

As I've recently tried a similar thing, using a NVMe for a RAID 0 configuration, I ran into a bit of a snag. Intel RST won't recognize the NVMe. I read through several articles and I believe the conclusion is that NVMe is not supported in RAID. With that said, there were other hit and misses trial and errors to get it working either with 3rd party softwares such as Primocache or other things.

I don't know how updated this is, but it talks about VROC (Virtual RAID on CPU):
https://silentpc.com/articles/nvme-raid-solutions