Raid 10 inquiry

MrTwistyFilms

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017
So if i wanted to run a 2TB storage in raid 10 with 2 1TB SSD's in the stripe and a 2TB HDD as the backup. First off, would this be possible, and second if it is possible would the HDD backup negate the speed of the striped SSD's?

PS: im a newb to doing anything raid so if all this is just stupidly impossible sorry and feel free to help me better understand lol

Solution

1. SSD's mirrored with HDD's reduces the performance of the SSD to that of the HDD.
Don't...

popatim

Titan
A raid 10 is a raid 0 array made up of two raid 1 arrays.
While what you want is possible with a more advanced controller (hybrid array in raid 01 (1tb's in R0 mirrored to the 2T)), its not possible with basic controllers as you would need 4 drives.

What HDD backup are you referring to?
No Form of raid is a substitute for a backup. If you do not have a backup solution then put the 2T in an external enclosure and run with just an r0 of the 1T's and thats IF you really need raid in the first place.

MrTwistyFilms

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017
As i understood it, raid 0 is data striping and raid 1 was data mirroring, and raid 10 was both stripped and mirroring. So i was unsure as to whether i could do 2 ssd's in stripe and mirror it to either a 2tb hdd or two 1tb hdd's without slowing the speed of the ssd's striping for read/write. But like i said im completely new to this.

Ps: the main reason i ask is because i want to do raid 0 with two ssd's and id like to have them backed up, but dont wanna spend an extra 600$ on ssd's just for mirroring. Id rather either be able to use hdd's for mirroring, or if that slows down the striping than id rather just do two ssd's in raid 0

USAFRet

Titan

1. SSD's mirrored with HDD's reduces the performance of the SSD to that of the HDD.
Don't do this.

2. Read this before you go down that RAID 0 + SSD road:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485.html

The tl-dr from that link is....Don't bother. You will see little if any performance gain vs individual SSD's.

Solution