RAID 10 recovery

G

Hi! I've searched the forums, and found lots of info, but still could not solve my problem, so I decided create a thread.

This are the events that lead to my current unfortunate situation. Rated PG-13.

A few weeks ago, a huge storm took over Montreal. Thunderbolt and lightning, very very frightening. So lights went out, and my Patriot Javelin S4 NAS, with 4xWD Red 3TB in RAID 10, said goodbye.

I sent the unit to repair after carefully identifying and naming the drives (1-up, 2, 3, 4-down), and one month later a new unit arrived on the mail.

I placed the drives in their correct slots, and turned on the Javelin. It immediately started rebuilding the array. That was 8 pm, on Monday.

Tuesday morning I left home and went to the office. I still need to work to pay for my living expenses. I am working on a project to cut on working and increase partying. But it still a draft.

So I went to the office, and when I came home in the evening, I found a nice, blue-gray cardboard hanging on my door. Hydro Quebec came for a visit! So nice of them to surprise me like that! They decided that my counter was too old and replaced it. To do that, they had to cut electricity on the whole apartment (all 35 square meters). Since I was at the office, I could not give them the friendly kick in the nuts they deserved. I am saving it for a future occasion, though.

So, when I looked at my poor Javelin, it was in a critical state. Red lights all over. A very sad view.

I turned it off, waited a few minutes, and turn it on again. But after all the suffering, he was never the same. I was able to reach the web configuration site, and I could see the 4 drives, and I tried to recover the array several times, but it just does not work. It always says "File error system".

So, I am done with the NAS for the moment. I decided to try to recover the information by other means. So I read and read. And then read some more. And I found out that sometimes you can recover a RAID volume with a live CD of Linux.

So, since I do not own a desktop computer, I bought a 4-bay USB external drive, I plugged in the 4 WD Red, installed Ubuntu 12.04 on a usb stick, and booted from it.

In the disk took I could see the 4 drives, they were correctly identified, and said 3TB, and it even said that they were part of a RAID. But I could not see the information inside. I installed mdadm, but it made no difference.

And that is my actual situation. My Linux knowledge is quite limited, as is my technical prowess, so I really would appreciate some help.

Thanks a lot!

G

I really need help. I chose RAID 10, investing half of my available space in redundancy so that these things wouldn't happen. Please!