Raid 10 Troubles

JakeNihilius

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
So I recently got a new PC and it was going good for about a week and a half. Then earlier today I was doing some video editing and accidentally grabbed a file that no longer existed. My computer froze and crashed and when I booted up I couldn't find my raid 10 stay that I made for my videos. So I go into the raid config and I find that half of my drives are no longer registered to the array and are just free drives (picture below). There are no available recovery options and I have searched the web everywhere. What do I do???

Solution
If you can't re-build the RAID from the drives left, you may not have any options other than having a data recovery shop look at your system.

Repeat this a few times also "RAID is not a backup option" "RAID is not a backup option". RAID setups are good for recovering quickly from a drive failure, or for an extra boost of speed, but setting up RAID is not a valid way of making sure you don't lose any files or being able to restore those files. RAID won't protect you from a system crash like what you had, or accidentally deleting half your files or having your cat knock over a vase of water on the computer, for that you need a backup of the files stored away from the computer.

If you get your files back, get a separate hard drive for...
If you can't re-build the RAID from the drives left, you may not have any options other than having a data recovery shop look at your system.

Repeat this a few times also "RAID is not a backup option" "RAID is not a backup option". RAID setups are good for recovering quickly from a drive failure, or for an extra boost of speed, but setting up RAID is not a valid way of making sure you don't lose any files or being able to restore those files. RAID won't protect you from a system crash like what you had, or accidentally deleting half your files or having your cat knock over a vase of water on the computer, for that you need a backup of the files stored away from the computer.

If you get your files back, get a separate hard drive for backups, keep your videos on the RAID during use and creation, copy to the other drive for backups.

Solution