[SOLVED] RAID 5 failure

Apr 8, 2020
Hi,

I have a Windows 7 computer with 5 HD configured as a RAID5 as a data volume D, so the OS is on C on a separate HD. One drive of my RAID failed, but the computer is working "almost normal" as a great number of my files are working. I already started migrating working files out of D into a new external HD. I do not wish to rebuild the volume because disks are old and small (they worked very well for several years) so I would like to know how I can "rebuild" any nonworkable files. Other than moving working files out of volume D, I am not using that PC at all, I unplugged it from the internet, I stopped antivirus and any other running programs to avoid any new writing on volume D.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated,

Steven

Solution
With a RAID 5 and one failed drive, ALL of the data should still exist.
The array will report as degraded, but that should not impact the totality of the data.

If it does not, you have other issues.
Apr 8, 2020
You guys are totally correct, I just used a program called HD sentinel and it is reporting that one of the remaining 4 drives is not working very well, some sectors cannot be read! So I have a HD that is physically dead, and a second one that is partially accessible. So far I found a very important file that I cannot even copy out of D and I need to recover it...

USAFRet

Titan
You guys are totally correct, I just used a program called HD sentinel and it is reporting that one of the remaining 4 drives is not working very well, some sectors cannot be read! So I have a HD that is physically dead, and a second one that is partially accessible. So far I found a very important file that I cannot even copy out of D and I need to recover it...
If there are TWO failed members in a RAID 5, then all bets are off.
RAID 5 can survive 1 fail, not 2.

This is where a comprehensive backup routine comes into play.

USAFRet

Titan
I do have a backup of my working folders... I totally forgot about backing up outlook and that file is corrupted!
Key word - "comprehensive"

I do full drive backups. The whole thing. Can't forget some important folder.

My procedures have changed a little since this, but only slightly:

Apr 8, 2020
I think the drive would have remapped the data to spare sectors if it were recoverable all by itself.

Whats wrong with the 'dead' drive? You might get better results resurrecting it.
These are internal hard drives on my computer. All I did so far was a quick inspection to make sure that power wires and SATA cables were connected correctly. Windows is not recognizing my dead drive. The only thing I can say is that there are no recognizable noises that indicate a damaged drive. I am yet to figure out which drive is the dead one. Do you have any suggestions on how to resurrect the dead drive? I do have a USB hard drive reader that I use to fix partition tables on my laptop. I never attempted to revive dead hard drives before. Thank you for your suggestion and I will wait for any further recommendations that you may have.