Raid 5/Intel Matrix Storage Manager problem

pops314

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
I have updated the bios of my Asus P6T delux that is running 4 1TB WD hard drives configured in RAID5 mode using the Intel Matrix Storage Manager. After restart, the Intel Matrix Storage Console indicates that two of the RAID Hard Drives are marked "Missing Hard Drives" and they are listed in the Non-RAID hard drives section.

I am trying to figure out how to return the two drives to the raid array. I have reviewed the Intel site info and found no info applicable.

I would appreciate any guidance, references, or reference to a paid support location that is literate in this application/configuration. Is there anything in the bios settings that could effect this?

Solution
How did you setup the RAID 5? Was it in the BIOS or did you use software from intel?

For me when I setup my RAID 5 I went into the BIOS and set it up that way. Not the system BIOS the RAID controller BIOS. For me I think it wa ctrl-o to get in or something. I would check the BIOS and see how it looks in there. Before you do that make sure you backup anything on your current RAID volume. Any changes to the volume will wipe your data.
How did you setup the RAID 5? Was it in the BIOS or did you use software from intel?

For me when I setup my RAID 5 I went into the BIOS and set it up that way. Not the system BIOS the RAID controller BIOS. For me I think it wa ctrl-o to get in or something. I would check the BIOS and see how it looks in there. Before you do that make sure you backup anything on your current RAID volume. Any changes to the volume will wipe your data.

Solution

pops314

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
Thanks for your response. The raid5 was set up using the Intel Matrix Storage Manager and the generic drive setting in the bios required the drives to be set up as RAID. After discussing the issue with both ASUS and Intel, they have advised me that there is no recovery path, and I now have to try and figure out how I can recover the 2TB of data on the drive.

pops314

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
Issue resolved. I downloaded ReclaiMe Free Raid Recovery which is free RAID configuration analysis/evaluation software. It identified all of the RAID parameters and is set to transfer the settings to recovery software applications, theirs and others. I purchased theirs, ReclaiMe, and the interface between the two apps went easily and I was able to recover and copy all of the files to a new drive. :bounce:

Very user friendly and almost hands free operation .

Lessons learned are to be prepared for the unexpected when a bios update is installed, and probably the best advice is to purchase a raid controller card which isolates the raid array from any bios/motherboard related issues and would be portable to a new or different system.