Raid-5 on P5b Wifi Delux

t2couger

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
i am planing on doing a raid 5 setup with 4 drives, from everything i have read 4 drives is the max for a raid setup on this board. i need to now any problems anyone els has come across and what performance is like. everything i have read sais this is the best board due to higher bandwidth than most on board setups with minimal cpu usage if any at all. Any general input would be greatly appreciated. i plan on using 4 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 Perpendicular drives, if you have better idea for drives under 150 a piece plz show me witch ones and why.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822148136

RichPLS

Champion
I have that board, and use two 74GB Raptors as a RAID0 for scratch disk... Imagine that a RAID5 would work just fine too, as fine as a software solution gets currently, and the CPU can certainly handle it...

t2couger

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
This is true, but with C2D CPU's being as robust and fast stock, surely this overhead could be reduced almost to nil by a mild 10% OC to the CPU...

well it just so happens that i have a C2D OC to 3.5 ghz so im not that worried about cpu usage :), besides everything i have read that even on lower end cpu ther is hardly any cpu usage being used. when i get the hds i will post on my experience with the setup and let ya now how it goes.