[SOLVED] RAID 5 on Windows 10?

Bongert

Reputable
Jul 30, 2020
I was planning on adding a RAID card and a bunch of drives into my pc instead of going for a NAS because its cheaper saves space but stumbled upon a very important piece of information, namely that most RAID controllers in my price range that support my requirements dont run on Windows 10. I then looked for win10 compatible cards and read here that windows can do RAID 5 out of the box. I knew that it can RAID 0 and 1 but RAID 5 was new to me as there are no AM4 motherboards that support RAID 5. So is the so called "parity" setting in the windows drive manager actually RAID 5? and is it hardware or software RAID?

Solution
Software. Whatever you do, don't use motherboard based RAID -- it breaks too easily.

I have a number of Adaptec cards as far back as 6805 running on W10 without issues -- but I don't recommend it unless you need a very large storage space. Windows Storage Spaces can give you parity that is similar to RAID 5 and it is fast enough for most home users.

RealBeast

Titan
Software. Whatever you do, don't use motherboard based RAID -- it breaks too easily.

I have a number of Adaptec cards as far back as 6805 running on W10 without issues -- but I don't recommend it unless you need a very large storage space. Windows Storage Spaces can give you parity that is similar to RAID 5 and it is fast enough for most home users.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS