[SOLVED] Raid 5 rebuild... help!

Oct 25, 2019
Hi,
I have an IcyBox cheap 4 bay raid drive with 4x 1TB WD green drives. A couple of weeks ago they started un-mounting on my iMac (Sierra). Stupidly I didn't think anything of it really, so didn't do a recent backup. Then none would mount (I did a couple of partitions on the 3TB drive total) so I put in a new drive which wasn't exactly the same but was 1TB Seagate drive but unformatted from how it came from Amazon.

I replaced the drive that had a red-light next to it and it seemed to be rebuilding but 4 days later I've given up.

I cannot see any of the drives on disk utility or via terminal either. I have not seen any Raid software for configuring / maintaining the drives so am a bit out of ideas. I am hoping the 3 drives that had blue lights are ok so can rebuild the setup with a 4th drive that works but not sure if I've gone too far trying to rebuild or leaving it too late before rebuilding.

Any help much appreciated.

Solution
A RAID 5 will survive the death of a single drive.
It will not survive the death of 2 drives.

Assuming the 3 remaining drives still access all the data and run correctly, putting in another drive of equal or larger size should rebuild the array.

If the drives or the IcyBox are faulty....all bets are off.
Thisis what backups are for. Not just when you start to notice a problem, but before you start to notice a problem.

Lastly, WD Green drives are absolutely NOT recommended for any RAID usage.

USAFRet

Titan
A RAID 5 will survive the death of a single drive.
It will not survive the death of 2 drives.

Assuming the 3 remaining drives still access all the data and run correctly, putting in another drive of equal or larger size should rebuild the array.

If the drives or the IcyBox are faulty....all bets are off.
Thisis what backups are for. Not just when you start to notice a problem, but before you start to notice a problem.

Lastly, WD Green drives are absolutely NOT recommended for any RAID usage.

Reactions: mundial
Solution