Raid 5 recovery

skoelle

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016
Hi all,

I have a raid 5 with 5 disks (3 TB each). That was running on a sil 3132 controller and was created with RAID5MANAGER. All of a sudden the 5th drive was shown as orphan and the raid could not be started.

Hence I physically detached the disks from the raid controller and attached it to a normal sata controller. Now I am able to see the discs but still no software seem to be able to recover the raid.
I already tried ReclaiMe Free RAID Recovery as well as Runtime RAID Reconstructor.

Not sure if it makes a big difference but the entire raid (12 TB) is encrypted with Truecrypt.

I would be glad if someone could help me with ideas to further analyze/fix the situation.

Solution
I wouldn't suspect there'd be any offset value with that controller. I think it stores the RAID information near the end of each drive, so it should be right at the beginning. If you look at sector 0 of the first disk in the rotation you should see the word Truecrypt in the ACII column.

JaredDM

Honorable
That is a very sticky situation indeed. There's little to no chance any sort of automated RAID analysis will do anything at all with encrypted data. Even with a data recovery engineer working on it, it's flying totally blind. The good news is with only 5 disks there's just 120 possible combinations of drive order. But, I don't think you're going to find someone willing to do this for free. It'll probably take three or four days to figure it out even by a data recovery engineer like me.

skoelle

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016
Hi JaredDM, thanks for the feedback. The drive order obviously is known to me. Same as the lock size with is 8 KB. What I don't know is the parity Rotation (not shown in SATARAID5MANAGER). The start sector I as well can only guess.

The encryption obviously is not on the raid settings but only on the data.

If I was able to find out the correct details, I could just restore it to a backup disk, right?
Can anyone tell me the usual start secors that SATARAID5MANAGER puts?

JaredDM

Honorable
I wouldn't suspect there'd be any offset value with that controller. I think it stores the RAID information near the end of each drive, so it should be right at the beginning. If you look at sector 0 of the first disk in the rotation you should see the word Truecrypt in the ACII column.

Solution