Question Raid 5 si3114 spanned drive disk failure of 1 of 4 drives how to save the data and access the drives

May 17, 2021
I have a si3114 controller and set up as a Raid 5 spanned drive. i am running windows 10

I have 4 hard drives to make up my raid and one of them has completely failed.

I remove the drive from the array and replaced it with a drive that is the same size as the failed one. when i go into the sataraid5 manager it shows only the other 3 drives not the replaced one.

When I go in to the disk managment I shows the raid as dynamic spanned and then i can see the 3 drives all that say failed. my only option is to click reconnect but clicking it does nothing.

How do i get the data off of these 3 drives I have a extra drive i can use to back up on but dont know how to do this. or is there something i can do that will allow the raid to work again with the replaced new drive so that i can at least get my files and data off of it??

my second question is if that cant be done is there a way to change the dynamic disk to basic disk with out losing my data so i can get the data off of them at least?

so i have little computer knowledge so if you can give me step by step directitons that would help a lot

i have gone in to the bios setup and it only is showing 3 of he 4 drives as well
thanks

USAFRet

Titan
RAID 5 should survive a single failed drive.
Replace the failed on, and the array should rebuild itself.

It currently only shows the original 3, because it has not yet rebuilt itself.

Even with just the 3 remaining, all data should be accessible. Thats the point of a RAID 5, to survive the physical death of a single member.
I strongly urge you to copy that data off to some other location.

Then mess with the array.

May 17, 2021
how do i tell it to rebuild? it opens sataraid5 manager but there are no options to reubild as they are greyed out

do i need to format the new replacement drive? or just put it in? they show pass through on the good 3 drives. i know i want to get this working just to get my data off of the drives and then to a different storage system.

but right now im trying to get it to show up on my drive so i can copy the files on to a backup file

I have a si3114 controller and set up as a Raid 5 spanned drive. i am running windows 10
Spanned volume across multiple drives is not the same thing as RAID 5.
RAID 5 had redundancy. Spanned volume - has not.

For spanned volume you'll need a recovery software to get data back.
Data from failed drive is not recoverable (also data partially stored on failed and some other drive).

USAFRet

Titan
how do i tell it to rebuild? it opens sataraid5 manager but there are no options to reubild as they are greyed out

do i need to format the new replacement drive? or just put it in? they show pass through on the good 3 drives. i know i want to get this working just to get my data off of the drives and then to a different storage system.

but right now im trying to get it to show up on my drive so i can copy the files on to a backup file
Any actual RAID 5 should, upon seeing a replacement drive, initiate the rebuild on its own.

"Raid 5 spanned drive "
That does not sound like a real "RAID 5"

May 17, 2021
what software can do this and how do i do it? do i do each drive at a time or from the draid 5 controller.

yes it is a dynamic spanned drive.. i think it is set as a raid0 but not 100% sure on that

i just want the simple way to get the data off each drive as much as i can. i know the bad drive the data is lost but i rather get some from the other drives than none

USAFRet

Titan
what software can do this and how do i do it? do i do each drive at a time or from the draid 5 controller.

yes it is a dynamic spanned drive.. i think it is set as a raid0 but not 100% sure on that

i just want the simple way to get the data off each drive as much as i can. i know the bad drive the data is lost but i rather get some from the other drives than none
Well...."RAID 0" is completely different than RAID 5.

With a RAID 0, loss of one member....all data is lost.

May 17, 2021
Any actual RAID 5 should, upon seeing a replacement drive, initiate the rebuild on its own.

"Raid 5 spanned drive "
That does not sound like a real "RAID 5"

well I have a si3114 raid5 controller and it opens up the sataraid5 manager software

but the disks are just spanned dynmaic disk using the raid 5 controller for the drives to connect to i think. i had 4 drives 1 tb each and total available was 4 tb total under a single drive letter. so i dont think it was doing a raid 5 type protection or backup .

May 17, 2021
Well...."RAID 0" is completely different than RAID 5.

With a RAID 0, loss of one member....all data is lost.
ok i dont know what raid number it is im green at this

i just know it is a raid 5 controller and raid 5 software but i know it is not making raid backup stuff i dont think. i say raid 0 becasue that is what the manual calls a spanned dynamic disk. so i dont know the fine detail of them.

i know i have had a drive about 10 years ago die and i was able to get the data off the other drives so i kknow it is not lost and it is possible but i dont remember how i did it or how to fix the part that the computer is not seeing the replaced drive.

as i replaced the drive thinking that it needes to see 4 to run at least but that not the case.
so what software or what is the best route of me doing it to get the data off?

Again - dynamic spanned volume is not the same thing as RAID 0.
With RAID 0, if one drive fails, you have zero chance of recovering anything.
With dynamic spanned volume, part of your data can still be recovered.

Personally I haven't had a need to recover from failed spanned volume.
You'll have to try different recovery software and see, what can be recovered.

USAFRet

Titan
ok i dont know what raid number it is im green at this

i just know it is a raid 5 controller and raid 5 software but i know it is not making raid backup stuff i dont think. i say raid 0 becasue that is what the manual calls a spanned dynamic disk. so i dont know the fine detail of them.

i know i have had a drive about 10 years ago die and i was able to get the data off the other drives so i kknow it is not lost and it is possible but i dont remember how i did it or how to fix the part that the computer is not seeing the replaced drive.

as i replaced the drive thinking that it needes to see 4 to run at least but that not the case.
so what software or what is the best route of me doing it to get the data off?
Recovering data from a single failed drive is completely different than data spanned across multiple drives.

Parts of ALL files in that array are actually gone.
And 3/4 of a file is just as useful as 0/4 parts of a file.

This is specifically what backups are for.
And this is why you don't do any RAID thing without knowing what you're doing, and why, and how to recover in a case like this.

May 17, 2021
Recovering data from a single failed drive is completely different than data spanned across multiple drives.

Parts of ALL files in that array are actually gone.
And 3/4 of a file is just as useful as 0/4 parts of a file.

This is specifically what backups are for.
And this is why you don't do any RAID thing without knowing what you're doing, and why, and how to recover in a case like this.
look i dont need a lecture im asking how to solve this. i did not set it up originally someone else did and i dont know if it was going to fail or not. but that is in the past.

now i am here this is my situation i can pick a better backup plan for the future but right now im trying to get the data i can off the drives i can

so if you can suggest some software that can work that would be great.. i thought there was some software called like recovraid or something but i cant find it when i google it . and that software was like 10 years ago. so i am thinking there is more current better software out there but i dont know what it is. so your expert suggestion and help is appreciated

USAFRet

Titan
look i dont need a lecture im asking how to solve this. i did not set it up originally someone else did and i dont know if it was going to fail or not. but that is in the past.

now i am here this is my situation i can pick a better backup plan for the future but right now im trying to get the data i can off the drives i can

so if you can suggest some software that can work that would be great.. i thought there was some software called like recovraid or something but i cant find it when i google it . and that software was like 10 years ago. so i am thinking there is more current better software out there but i dont know what it is. so your expert suggestion and help is appreciated
ReclaiMe
http://www.freeraidrecovery.com/?s=rd

Good luck.

USAFRet

Titan
YES!!
ReclaiMe
is the software thank you so much i was able to search my computer and I do have their paid version of the software now how do i use it when it is not seeing the drives as online but as failed? how do i get it to see them so they can be read?
How to?
Dunno...I've never had to use it.

I just know it exists and purports to be able to recover a failed RAID.

Not seeing the individual drives would seem to be a major problem.

The third picture shows the 4 drives for the spanned drive. DISK1, DISK2, DISK3, MISSING are the 4 drives in it. the first picture that shows the 4 drives 3 are blue and one is white. the white one is the missing drive (the new replacement drive for the one that died)
Missing here means - not detected, not connected or dead. Disk was there before, now it's not.
If you have a replacement drive connected, then it's not being detected.

BTW - you're not showing a full Disk Management screenshot.
Some drives are hidden (Disk 0 at least - OS drive). If you have a replacement drive connected, then there should be another one like Disk 4 or something.

May 17, 2021
Missing here means - not detected, not connected or dead. Disk was there before, now it's not.
If you have a replacement drive connected, then it's not being detected.

BTW - you're not showing a full Disk Management screenshot.
Some drives are hidden (Disk 0 at least - OS drive). If you have a replacement drive connected, then there should be another one like Disk 4 or something.

yes the replacement drive i s disk 4 which is labeled missing in the screen shot
so how do i get it to be seen. the drive is spinning up so i know its working, is it something in the bios or something i have to do to get it to be seen?

yes the replacement drive i s disk 4 which is labeled missing in the screen shot
Nope.
Missing = not detected, not connected or dead .
With dynamic disks windows remembers, what was there before. It shows as missing. It means, it is not there currently.

For data recovery you'll need another drive to hold all recovered data. 4TB drive should be enough (remaining drives 2TB + 1TB +700GB).

I haven't used Reclaime, can't comment on, how to use it.