RAID 5 volume can only be created in dynamic disk?

For software raid in windows, I believe they must be dynamic disks. Dynamic disks have a special area reserved for metadata, like raid volume & stuff that makes it easier to manage the volumes.

Dynamic disks were introduced in Windows 2000 Server. By converting a disk to a dynamic disk, you give Disk Management the ability to manage it in new ways, without requiring a reboot in most cases. You can extend a disk volume, span a volume across multiple physical disks, stripe the volume for improved performance, mirror it, or add it to a RAID-5 array—all from the Disk Management console and all without a reboot, after the disk is converted to a dynamic disk

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd163558.aspx

If you use hardware raid, then yes, the disks can be basic.

Techie4

Honorable
May 9, 2012

thanks so much Hawkeye22, a little longer guidance, but finally i got it now :bounce:

Techie4

Honorable
May 9, 2012

just checked the site Hawkeye22 recommended, i noticed the system partition is better not to be dynamic disk, so if there is a raid card controller, RAID 5 is possible to created on basic disk, is this right?

Yes, it should be possible. Just download the manual for whatever raid card you plan on purchasing, but I don't recall ever having a raid controller that specified that a disk had to be basic or dynamic.

If you plan on using the motherboard's built in raid controller, then check your motherboard manual on raid setup.

A very small correction. RAID5 will not be created on a basic disk. Instead, the hardware will do the RAID5 and present all the space to the OS as a single device. The OS will create a basic disk on that device. Or a dynamic disk on it, if you prefer. But the OS will not see the actual drives that constitute the array.