Question RAID and Non-RAID M.2s Combination- Hardware RAID

Nov 24, 2022
Hi, I am building a new machine for editing, motion graphics, and rendering. I am planning to use 4 M.2 drives and 2 SATA HDDs. 1 M.2 for OS, 1 for disk cache, and the other 2 as work drives in RAID 1 for redundancy. Also, the 2 SATA HDDs for storage- again in RAID 1. My question is, Is it possible to configure 2 M.2s as RAID and the other 2 M.2s as non-raid drives on the same motherboard? If possible, how to do that? My processor is Ryzen 7950x and the Motherboard is MSI MEG x670e Ace.
I really appreciate any help you guys can provide.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi, I am building a new machine for editing, motion graphics, and rendering. I am planning to use 4 M.2 drives and 2 SATA HDDs. 1 M.2 for OS, 1 for disk cache, and the other 2 as work drives in RAID 1 for redundancy. Also, the 2 SATA HDDs for storage- again in RAID 1. My question is, Is it possible to configure 2 M.2s as RAID and the other 2 M.2s as non-raid drives on the same motherboard? If possible, how to do that? My processor is Ryzen 7950x and the Motherboard is MSI MEG x670e Ace.
I really appreciate any help you guys can provide.
I will ask if you are trying to ensure up-time or data protection with RAID1. Disk failure is only one of MANY reasons for loss of data, and those other reasons are not protected by RAID1.
Most situations, simpler single disk implementations with appropriate automated backups provide much better data protection. RAID is not a replacement for backups. So if the time to restore a backup is what you are trying to avoid, then RAID1 might be appropriate.
But be aware, that many times data is lost during RAID rebuilds. So if you DO have a hardware failure, the first thing you need to do is backup your remaining broken mirrored disk. THEN try to rebuild. If it goes south, you haven't lost any data.

Nov 24, 2022
Yes, these RAID drives I am using are for data protection, on M.2 work drive for daily work protection, and on the big SATA RAID for long time storage. I will be using an automated backup from the M.2 drives to the SATA HDDs mostly on a weekly basis since daily backup might affect the machine's daily operations like rendering and all. Since you have commented about automated backup, I will do some more research on it to see whether some of it is appropriate for my work environment. Thank you!

USAFRet

Titan
Given a good automated backup routine (daily or weekly) a RAID is not needed.

RAID 1 is NOT for 'data protection', but rather uninterrupted operations in the event of a physically failed drive.. Until you can find such time as to replace it and rebuild the array.

USAFRet

Titan
Since you have commented about automated backup, I will do some more research on it to see whether some of it is appropriate for my work environment. Thank you
A modification of this might work well: