Raid and onboard SCSI?

G

This is my first forray into raid. Iv'e descided to buy a Tynan 760 Mp with on board ultra 160 SCSI. My question is can I run a raid array with the onboard SCSI? Is raid configured through the system software?

Thanks,
Anim88tor

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Not overly familiar with that board, so if anyone sees any misinformation on my part please feel free to correct me.
I do believe that if it is equiiped with onboard RAID it would be for IDE disks, not SCSI disks. If you're running WINNT or WIN2K you can run the disks in software RAID using the built in disk administration software in each OS.

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

If you loan a friend $20 & never see them again, it was worth it.

Hades

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Win2k Pro does not have the option of configuring RAID through the disk administrator, only the server edition, and Windows NT 4.0.

G

It has both IDE and SCSI on the board. Its intended as a server but I will be using it as a workstation.
Anim88tor

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Adaptec makes a 0-channel RAID card. It makes any on-board Adaptec SCSI controller into a RAID controller.

<A HREF="http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?prodkey=ARO-1130U2&cat=/Technology/RAID/Additional+RAID+Products" target="_new">http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?prodkey=ARO-1130U2&cat=/Technology/RAID/Additional+RAID+Products</A>

G

If you buy the Tyan's dual Athlon mobo, make sure you get the correct power supply. Here is a quote from AnandTech.com on that matter:
The motherboard features two power connectors on it: a 24-pin WTX connector and a secondary 8-pin power connector (standard ATX power connectors have 20 pins). While the connectors themselves are compatible with the WTX specification and look identical to the two connectors that were present on the Iwill Dual Xeon motherboard, the pinouts are different. Unfortunately, this difference means that the Thunder K7 uses a non-standard power supply.

Currently, we are aware of two manufacturers that make power supplies for the Thunder K7: Delta and NMB Technologies. Delta has a 450W model and NMB uses a 460W power supply; we used the NMB unit for our tests.
Good luck!

Leo